Duct select loose

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
68c15
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE
2001 VL800
2001 GSX-R750

Duct select loose

Post by 68c15 »

On the lower vent there is a lever you move up and down. It’s for selecting heat or fresh air. The one on the right side moves to fresh as I get moving. Aside from buying used ducts and risking those being floppy also is there anything I can do? The ducts are discontinued from Honda and I’m worried used ones would be just as bad.

blupupher
Motorcycle: 2002 Goldwing GL1800A

Re: Duct select loose

Post by blupupher »

My left is doing it.

I "fixed" it by taking one of my old foam ear plugs and setting it by the lever in the position I wanted to keep it from moving.

Next time I have it apart, I am going to look at the sliding mechanism to see what I can do to tighten it (I was thinking maybe a piece of electrical tape on the little slider part that the pin rides on, but not sure yet).
Current ride: 2002 Goldwing GL1800A
Former rides: 1994 Goldwing GL1500 SE, 2001 Nighthawk CB750, 1994 Shadow VT1100C, 1982 CB750C, 1984 Interceptor VF500F, 1978 CB125s
joeincalif
Motorcycle: 2006 Gold Wing

Post by joeincalif »

If your talking about the vent by your knee there is a screw that tightens the lever if I remember you have to take the side cover off to get to it. look at part #8
https://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/a/ho ... fc/shelter
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
DarthJ
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A Aspencade

Post by DarthJ »

+1 on the screw. At least on mine, they are notorious for wiggling just loose enough over time to not stay in position.
You ain't lost, you're just somewhere you ain't been before.
blupupher

Post by blupupher »

I don't have a screw on mine, at least not that I noticed when I had it apart.

I had thought mine had slipped out of the groove, and when I put it together it seemed to work for a bit, but then came loose. Maybe I am missing something?
Former rides: 1994 Goldwing GL1500 SE, 2001 Nighthawk CB750, 1994 Shadow VT1100C, 1982 CB750C, 1984 Interceptor VF500F, 1978 CB125s
Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Post by Charlie1Horse »

Parts are still available at the above link. Outlet Assy. R. Hot Air - 64470 MN5 000 - $21.19 for the right side.
Outlet Assy. L. Hot Air - 64475 MN5 000 - $21.19 for left side.
On the partsfish, the number 8 part shows a round circle with a dot in the middle. This is a screw that will tighten the lever. You can remove the screw and place a drop of your wife's nail polish to the threads and screw it in till it is as tight as you wish.
Russell
Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.
blupupher

Post by blupupher »

blupupher wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:07 pm I don't have a screw on mine, at least not that I noticed when I had it apart.

I had thought mine had slipped out of the groove, and when I put it together it seemed to work for a bit, but then came loose. Maybe I am missing something?
Well just to update, there is a screw there (just as others said) that adjusts how tight the lever is.

I had the side fairings off replacing my cornering lights and checked, and the left side screw needed about a 1/16 of a turn to be tight enough to not flop around, right side was still fine.
garym
Motorcycle: 2015 GL1800 Anniversary Edition

Post by garym »

Back in 1994 I found a way to fix this and wrote a “How To” article for GWRRA, complete with pictures. I wish I still had the pictures as describing it is difficult without them. The problem with the original design is that airflow tends to center the door that selects hot or cold air.

The lever that moves the door controlling airflow is slotted and moves a pin on the door. Take that lever to a drill press and round out the inside of that slot, or the two sides that contain the pin. You need to hold the lever sides with your fingers so they stay put during the drilling. If I remember right, it’s about an inch of drilling with a drill bit about the same size as a ballpoint pen spring. Once you’ve rounded out the insides, you put the spring from a ballpoint pen inside. That's the reason for drilling - to hold the spring in place. Now, the spring pushes the pin. What you have now is an “over-center” spring. The door will flip to one side or the other, but won’t stay in the center. Put a little electrical grease on the spring to keep it from rusting.
Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Post by Erdeniz Umman »

On my bike, I have cancelled the function of that lever by removing the internal parts.
And plugged the upper air line coming from the front head of the bike.
Now both upper and lower vents provide hot air when I open the vents.
I don't know anyone needed cold air for the knees or feet any time.
bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

Erdeniz Umman wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:42 pm On my bike, I have cancelled the function of that lever by removing the internal parts.
Apparently you have never been to the southern United States. The ambient air temperature in the summer is almost as warm as what comes off the engine.
Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Post by Erdeniz Umman »

bellboy40 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:31 am
Erdeniz Umman wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:42 pm On my bike, I have cancelled the function of that lever by removing the internal parts.
Apparently you have never been to the southern United States. The ambient air temperature in the summer is almost as warm as what comes off the engine.
Actually I have been in Fort Rucker, Alabama in 1997 during the summer time. I know how it is hot there, I remember I was leaving the car running with the AC on while shopping. But for the bike, the highway pegs will help more than the vents I think.
bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

Actually I have been in Fort Rucker, Alabama in 1997 during the summer time. I know how it is hot there, I remember I was leaving the car running with the AC on while shopping. But for the bike, the highway pegs will help more than the vents I think.
Ok Erdeniz, then you know how hot it can get here in the summer. Ft. Rucker is very near the same lattitude as here. You are right, the vents don't help much because the air is still hot coming out. I thought you were saying you didn't understand why anyone would want colder air coming through. The highway pegs are definitely much better for cooling.
agedbikeman
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade with bolt on trike kit, made by Kit Trike Portugal.
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT(sold, glad to see the back of it)

Post by agedbikeman »

I used a stretch coil spring from the screww in the lever to some convenient point to act like a toggle spring, I may have even drilled a tiny hole in some plastic part to hook the spring into, don't quite remember, if ever I take that bit of the fairing off I'll look and write about it,
But now you have the spring idea I'm sure you guys will figure out a place to hook the spring onto, I'm surprised Honda didn't do that in manufacture.

Works a treat, lever never moves of it's own

Hope this helps

Alex