Front Speaker Replacement?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
zeoran
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500A, 2002 Honda ST1100, 1982 Honda Interstate (sold)

Front Speaker Replacement?

Post by zeoran »

99 Aspencade, I'm looking to get new front speakers. I put Polk's in the rear and they sound ok. I've read that Polk makes one that can fit up front, but it requires modifying the dash.
What's the best sounding speakers (with the best volume the crappy amp can put out) that I can put into the front dash without having to make any modifications? (I know there are some threads already on here, but they're old, so I wanted updated information)

God bless,

~Mark

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: Front Speaker Replacement?

Post by Rambozo »

AFAIK nothing has changed for the GL1500. It uses a non standard pattern speaker, so the only ones that fit with zero mods are the OEM and the few aftermarket replacements like Show Chrome. None of them are really good, but they do have some better models for the GL1800 that are also 4-1/2" speakers. I have no idea if they share the same odd bolt pattern and such, but might be worth a try.

bbrackett
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Re: Front Speaker Replacement?

Post by bbrackett »

I installed a pair of 4” 4ohm Kickers
no mod needed but used some fender washers
they work ok but the factory pos radio has a hard time driving them, maybe the showchromes would be better but still by design they have no lows but should be as loud

go for the 4.5” speakers

I plan to upgrade to a better radio, hopefully they’ll be Ok

small speakers don’t do bass, only way is a subwoofer box