Help! Shifting issues after working on seal. Time sensitive.

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Britwanders
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500SE, the most beautiful bike, by far, I've ever had the joy to ride, much less own.
1985 GL1200A Aspencade (A gift from a stranger!) - sadly put to rest due to accident, 9-6-17.
1981 Yamaha 850 Special
1985 Yamaha Venture Royale
'76 750cc Hondamatic
1980 Yamaha 650SP
1978 Yamaha 400

Help! Shifting issues after working on seal. Time sensitive.

Post by Britwanders »

Could've accurately labeled this post "Clown stuck!" but not informative. 1995 GL1500 SE oil leak from shifter seal. Ignorant newbie (to working on my own bike) without $ to get a pro.

After much research, got the inner dogleg loose (took the bolt all the way off as instructed) but couldn't get the dogleg totally off the splines due to lack of frame clearance. I tried prying it off with a screwdriver. After a bit of patient effort (during which my patience began to run out and my hand got a bit heavier) I gave up on replacing the seal. So I put it all back together as carefully as I could. During the reassemble, installed a shifter brace.

Also successfully replaced a valve cover gasket (first time) and took it for a test ride. Everything worked fine for the first 7 miles, only 10-15 shifting sequences and then came a stop sign. Tried to shift down from 5th, but it would only shift to 4th. I got it out of the intersection, fiddled with the shifter with my hand and got it down to a gear I could get going with.

On the way back, I was able to wiggle the shifter a bit between each gear and made it back to the garage I'm borrowing. After much trial and error, I now know that nothing is touching any part of the shifter except what's supposed to be touching it. I thought I put the inner dogleg back on at the correct spot on the splines, but didn't think to mark it on the inner shifting shaft. At one point, I thought I had it fixed, put the bike together and rode it 1/2 a block: couldn't get it to shift from 1st to beyond neutral. Rode it back, attempted to reset the inner splines (thinking that might have something to do with it) but can't get it to shift up beyond neutral, though it'll shift down to 1st okay.

Nothing looks obviously broken, bent, or damaged. My ignorance, in so many areas of life, knows no bounds. I was due to leave on a multi-month last week to spend time babysitting my grandkids so my daughter and son-in-law could save childcare costs (they're struggling even more than I am) so I'm anxious to figure it out. The bike is my only available transportation. I made a video, which is on my Facebook feed, "Yogi Kai". Any help would be greatly appreciated! Can't find videos or any information about such issues.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Help! Shifting issues after working on seal. Time sensitive.

Post by WingAdmin »

If you look closely, there is a little dot on the end of the splined shaft, and that dot should be lined up with the arrow on the piece being attached to it. This will ensure you have the shafts lined up properly:

Spline indicator
Spline indicator

Britwanders
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500SE, the most beautiful bike, by far, I've ever had the joy to ride, much less own.
1985 GL1200A Aspencade (A gift from a stranger!) - sadly put to rest due to accident, 9-6-17.
1981 Yamaha 850 Special
'76 750cc Hondamatic
1980 Yamaha 650SP
1978 Yamaha 400

Post by Britwanders »

Thank you. I found that indicator on the the shifter itself and adjusted it to fit. The dogleg is set so far in the bike that I can't see it.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

Britwanders wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:45 pm Thank you. I found that indicator on the the shifter itself and adjusted it to fit. The dogleg is set so far in the bike that I can't see it.
Because the dogleg gives you an even larger lever, if the inner dogleg is not positioned correctly on its spline, it will be very evident at the end of the shifter - a small error on the inner shaft shows up as a large deflection on the shift pedal.
Britwanders
1981 Yamaha 850 Special
'76 750cc Hondamatic
1980 Yamaha 650SP
1978 Yamaha 400

Post by Britwanders »

(light 💡 Makes sense. So, although the solution to the problem hasn't been found, one possibility for a desired resolution has been identified. Many thanks. 🙏🏼

It'll be a few days before I can test anything more. I removed the shifter shaft seal in prep for replacing, then discovered the one I was sent wasn't the one I bought.
LeYak
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 Aspencade, 1995 VFR750, 2001 GSX-R 750, 2013 Triumph Bonneville

Post by LeYak »

This may be a silly question, but you say you installed a shifter brace. Are you sure that the sifter isn't binding, i.e., that if you pull it up or down slightly that it automatically and easily goes back to the start position?
I've had this happen where the shifter brace was too tight, binding the shifter which made it near impossible to shift properly :oops:
PowerSlave
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500

Post by PowerSlave »

I had similar issues.
1) To remove the inner shifter arm I removed the engine mount bolt that would be right in your face when working on all this, and was able to pry upwards on the engine and removed the shifter arm
2) I played with the position of the inner shifter arm several times. I set it up to factory but for some reason it would not work, I had the same shifting issues you report. If you look at pictures of successful installs you can see the amount of room the shifter brace has to move vs the engine guard bolting surface.
3) I think some people report having to put some sort of angled washer between the engine guard bolting surface and the shifter brace as it was not 'square' to the inner shifter arm.
Britwanders
1981 Yamaha 850 Special
'76 750cc Hondamatic
1980 Yamaha 650SP
1978 Yamaha 400

Re: Shifting update.

Post by Britwanders »

Thank you, everyone, for your replies and suggestions. It's fixed now, and I'll tell you more about that.

I spoke to several very knowledgeable folks about it and the concensus was about 50/50 for either the shifter fork being bent or the splines being out of position. It turned out to be the latter. I don't know why, but it seems the gears moved a slight bit because the bolt on the dogleg was at a significantly different angle than it came off. I just took it on a little 100 mile test ride and it performed flawlessly.

One thing I found that no one mentioned was trying to spin the back wheel while it was on its center stand jogged the gears and allowed shifting to happen. Took me four tries to dial in the correct position of the dogleg on the splines, but it shifts better now than it has in the 47k miles since I bought it. I'm very pleased. :-)

While it was down, I was able to change the shifter shaft oil seal, flush the coolant, and replace the valve cover gasket on one side. All three of those jobs was new to me. There is still a very small leak coming from somewhere, occasionally (barely) dripping off the alternator, but the more significant leaks were stopped.

Now it's just a matter of changing the air, and fuel filters, and replace the cruise element and I'll be ready for the big ride of the year.

Thanks again!
WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Re: Shifting update.

Post by WingAdmin »

Britwanders wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:19 pm 20220620_162932.jpg
One thing I found that no one mentioned was trying to spin the back wheel while it was on its center stand jogged the gears and allowed shifting to happen. Took me four tries to dial in the correct position of the dogleg on the splines, but it shifts better now than it has in the 47k miles since I bought it. I'm very pleased. :-)
If the dogs are not aligned, and the engine isn't running and the bike isn't moving, then no amount of clicking the shifter is going to get it to shift into gear. Spinning the rear wheel moves one set of dogs, so you can then shift it into gear.