Super fine copper color glitter in oil

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
NewtMan
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 Goldwing SE
1998 Harley Davidson Road King

Super fine copper color glitter in oil

Post by NewtMan »

So I have been driving my bike to work so I could get oil moving through it. I changed the oil a few days ago, this time I didn't change the oil, but I pulled and changed the filter because it is killing me not knowing. This is what I saw. I dabbed my finger in that spot that is really thick, and you can't even see it on the towel. I can't feel it between my fingers when I rub them together either. (those metal bits are from me cutting the filter open with my reciprocating saw). I’m curious if this is hopefully clutch material (fingers crossed), or does my extremely low 18k mile 1500 have a death sentence? Please be gentle. I’m very worried, I love this bike!
Attachments

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: Super fine copper color glitter in oil

Post by Rambozo »

Hard to say. What is the bikes history? You can have the oil analyzed to get a breakdown on what is in it. How is the oil pressure at idle and on the road?
Swagonmaster
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500 SE

Post by Swagonmaster »

As Rambozo said It's hard to say where the particles are coming from. If no work has been done on the engine to cause a potential wear problem then I'd suggest changing the oil and filter and drive the bike 500-1,000 miles and recheck it. The cost of a filter isn't much and it could give an idea of how much wear is happening. While you probably will be spooked for a while and hear noises in the engine that are normal and think they are "The Problem That Will Destroy The Whole Engine" they in all likelyhood will indeed be normal noise. Having said that, do listen for something that is really different (I know it sounds contradictory). If you see a quantity of "glitter" after that short drive oil change then you can decide what to do if anything. There aren't many brass/bronze pieces that are oil bathed that are easy to get to but don't write off that mill unless evidence shows that a major problem has come up, that is a very low mileage engine to be having big problems.
Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Do the particles stick to a magnet?
NewtMan

Post by NewtMan »

Rambozo wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:02 am Hard to say. What is the bikes history? You can have the oil analyzed to get a breakdown on what is in it. How is the oil pressure at idle and on the road?
History is good. I bought it from an older gentleman who is meticulous with his vehicles and service. Oil pressure is good on idle and driving. I hope I’m just overreacting. My Harley clutch is set up different and doesn’t share the same oil, so I’m praying it’s normal and just different from what I’m used to.
NewtMan

Post by NewtMan »

WingAdmin wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:55 am Do the particles stick to a magnet?
Honestly, I haven’t checked. I will tonight. I still have some of the oil.
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

Ok if you just got the bike run a few oil changes before anything. There are plenty of oil additives that make all kinds of strange colors and such. Who knows what the PO put in there.