Rear end looks a little "iffy"

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
dbdataplus
Motorcycle: gl1500

Rear end looks a little "iffy"

Post by dbdataplus »

I'm trying to breathe a few years more life into my 1993 Aspencade. I had a breakdown when the pinion cup gear finally wore itself smooth so for the first time (and probably last time) I have the entire rear housing/bags off, installed new u-joint/dive shaft and Differential and was just ready to put the bags back on when I noticed a gap in the rear axle spacing.

I have the washer, the Caliper mount, the spacer, rear wheel & differential all in the right order.
Torqued the axle bolt first and was JUST about to tighten the cinch bolt when I noticed it:

The Axle shaft itself, when the bolt is tightened, pulls through the hole in the swing arm more than flush.
In other words the outer shoulder of the shaft is not flush with the swing arm but slighting inset.
This causes the inner shoulder to be inside the edge of the inner swing arm which leaves a space (see pictures)
Left is assembled axle for perspective - Right is wiped clean and notated

I was SURE this wasn't how it came apart a month ago ... but a lot has happened since then
There is no chance that the Swing Arm could have spread after a month of not being under tension?
Q: Would you put your ex-wife on the back of this bike?

Thanks
Attachments

bbrackett
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Re: Rear end looks a little "iffy"

Post by bbrackett »

I was checking my tire pressure when I noticed a gap as well a bit too much play much like yours, have digged into mine but Im guessing we are in the same boat
MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
191K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
28K Miles

Post by MikeB »

dbdataplus wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:53 pm I'm trying to breathe a few years more life into my 1993 Aspencade. I had a breakdown when the pinion cup gear finally wore itself smooth so for the first time (and probably last time) I have the entire rear housing/bags off, installed new u-joint/dive shaft and Differential and was just ready to put the bags back on when I noticed a gap in the rear axle spacing.

I have the washer, the Caliper mount, the spacer, rear wheel & differential all in the right order.
Torqued the axle bolt first and was JUST about to tighten the cinch bolt when I noticed it:

The Axle shaft itself, when the bolt is tightened, pulls through the hole in the swing arm more than flush.
In other words the outer shoulder of the shaft is not flush with the swing arm but slighting inset.
This causes the inner shoulder to be inside the edge of the inner swing arm which leaves a space (see pictures)
Left is assembled axle for perspective - Right is wiped clean and notated

I was SURE this wasn't how it came apart a month ago ... but a lot has happened since then
There is no chance that the Swing Arm could have spread after a month of not being under tension?
Q: Would you put your ex-wife on the back of this bike?

Thanks
Could you back off a bit and take a couple more pictures? It is really difficult to tell where that assembly is and believe me, I'm not a stranger to the axle and final drive of the GL1500. It is just hard to tell where it is that you are having an issue.
MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 1968 - 1986 / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 1986 - 1992. Retired
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 1992 - 2014
Retired in Tacoma, WA
bbrackett

Post by bbrackett »

It's the left side of the rear wheel, that vertical bolt is the axel pinch bolt
when you slide the wheel right, there is the gap on the left

I was checking the parts diagrams last night, and it's possible we have a worn axel shaft, washer, collar (RR Brake Side)
maybe a couple other parts, could be that the axel isn't to the right side enough??

for me it's been 12K since I worked on the rear end.. time to grease up stuff anyway, so maybe if I feel motivated I might take a deeper look.
MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
191K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
28K Miles

Post by MikeB »

Okay, I got it.

That gap is normal. It is where the axle slides through the swing arm and mates up with the washer and brake caliper lower mount hole.

The axle will slide all the way through the swing arm left mounting hole if the wheel and other parts are not there. So no, it is not a malfunction. The swing arm in not a pinch type assembly. Much like the front wheel mounting. The left lower portion of the fork/axle mount is free floating.
MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 1968 - 1986 / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 1986 - 1992. Retired
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 1992 - 2014
Retired in Tacoma, WA
bbrackett

Post by bbrackett »

Thanks, it seems like a LOT of lateral movement.
I really need to get a service manual :-)