Love it when the previous owner leaves off part of the frame!!

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Quick Cal
Motorcycle: 1989 1500 Goldwing

Love it when the previous owner leaves off part of the frame!!

Post by Quick Cal »

Good thing I needed to change my rear tire. I ended up doing a little fabrication project. Over kill? Maybe. But I had fun doing it,,,lol.

I was able to install my Bushtec trailer hitch on my 89 Goldwing with out having to take anything apart. Just had to remove a muffle bolt on each side. And then used some u-bolts.. The hitch only has 4 attachment points. It's designed that way. Other brands have 6 attachment points. But the all are u-bolts that hang from the crash bars. Kinda cheesy. At least the Bushtec has 1 solid bolt in the front on each side.

So I have to remove the rear fender, saddle bags, and the hitch to pull the rear wheel. When I took the fender off I could see that I was missing a cross bar that connects the two saddle bag frames together. I would say it's a very structural part of the frame. The oem part is obsolete. Nothing on ebay. I just happened to have a piece of flat bar. So I made one.

Before I made the cross bar I also noticed I had a bit of flex in the hitch/frame/what ever if I pushed down on the hitch pin. So I thought I would just add a couple of vertical uprights and tie it all together. By doing this I also gained 2 attachment points. It is rock solid now. I believe on newer bikes they have some vertical bracing making it better?

Was it needed? Maybe not. But I sure do feel better about it,,,lol. If I hadn't of needed the cross bar I probably would not have done it. But it's a done deal now. Just need to round the corners and paint.
If you made it this far thanks for reading.

Attachments

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Love it when the previous owner leaves off part of the frame!!

Post by WingAdmin »

That cross piece you fabricated is far stronger than the OEM piece, which is just a thin-walled tube with crimped ends. You can just barely see it on the lower left of this picture:

Quick Cal
Motorcycle: 1989 1500 Goldwing

Re: Love it when the previous owner leaves off part of the frame!!

Post by Quick Cal »

WingAdmin wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:56 am That cross piece you fabricated is far stronger than the OEM piece, which is just a thin-walled tube with crimped ends. You can just barely see it on the lower left of this picture:

Here's a better pic of the oem cross bar just for reference.

I remember your hitch was not an ADD ON brand. Was it a Bushtec like this one by chance? I don't suppose you have any pics of yours?
Attachments