Intermittently boggs down

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
okwing
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 SE

Intermittently boggs down

Post by okwing »

I have a '96 GL1500SE with 77k miles that has very randomly Boggs down at highway speeds. Before this problem started I had the carbs pulled and cleaned, vacuum lines replaced, rebuilt the petcock valve, new spark plugs, and new air filter. I have put about 4k or 5k miles on it since I did all that work. Now has started bogging down at highway speed (65+) but does not seem to follow any pattern. When it does it will start to bog down and lose speed - eventualy getting down to about 60 mph. It acts like it's not getting enough fuel or air kind of like it is choking out. If I pull over and stop for just a few seconds and rev it a couple of times it recovers and is absolutely fine again. I just finished an iron butt challenge running 75-85 mph the whole time and it ran great for 800 or so miles, and then did it again. Pulled over briefly and it went back to normal. Had no more trouble the next 300 miles at 75 to 85 mph the rest of the way home. I just replaced the battery as it was bad and I hoped that the weak battery may have something to do with it but no such luck. Did it again yesterday. It has done it with all levels of gas in the tank. The last one was on a full tank. I pulled the fuel pump to check for water in the tank but was none. there was a few small pieces of junk in the tank but nothing that would get past the pump screen and cause the problem. Any help and advice are appreciated. I thought about changing the fuel pump just to check that but found out that is about a $400 part. Happy to replace it if that is it but don't want to just throw money at it with my fingers crossed. Any other ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Intermittently boggs down

Post by WingAdmin »

Bogging down at highway speeds is almost always a fuel flow issue - as in, not enough fuel. Particularly if it's at higher speeds, uphill, or against the wind (where the engine is under more load and requires more fuel).

The typical restrictions are the fuel pump screen and the fuel filter.

I would run a flow test and see if the fuel pump is flowing the correct amount of fuel.
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

First check the gas cap vent. They can often be fixed by soaking in cleaner.
Next ride around with a fuel pressure gauge to confirm fuel pump operation.
okwing

Post by okwing »

Thanks for the quick reply. I will start with the fuel filter and soaking the cap because those are quick and easy. If that doesn't help then I will reach out and ask about the fuel pressure gauge...I will need some more info on where/how to install that.
bbrackett
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by bbrackett »

Where to install the Fuel Filter, you could install before the fuel filter, or after the shut off
I've been thinking about the same thing for other reasons
okwing

Post by okwing »

Well I changed the fuel filter. The one on it looks pretty old but I swear the guy I bought it from said he had just put on a new one - obviously not. I have about 500 miles on it since and so far so good.
okie2ee
Motorcycle: 1992 Honda Goldwing 1500 Interstate
1986 Yamaha V-Max
1994 Yamaha V-Max

Post by okie2ee »

Sounds like the problem that I had with my bike when I first purchased it several years ago.............. it would bog down randomly and do exactly what you described......................I finally found that the petcock valve had a faulty housing casting and was leaking vacuum causing the valve to close randomly................I first bypassed the vacuum shutoff fuel valve and the problem went away........I then replaced the valve with an electric shut off valve because of the warnings of gas filling the cylinders without a shutoff valve...........never had another problem with bogging down...............I have posted the installation of the electric valve in this forum.............I have put several thousand miles on the bike with the electric shutoff with no problems
okwing

Post by okwing »

@Okie2ee - Interesting. I will look for your post on the shut off. I'm hopefull, cautious but hopefull, that the filter took care of the problem. The one that was on there looked like it was pretty old. Thanks and be safe!
Snowmoer
Motorcycle: 2012 GL 1800
1977 GL 1000
2012 KLR 650

Post by Snowmoer »

When my 88 was acting like yours, it was the gas cap vent. I had a California model, so it had the hose attached to the cap. I just shot it with a bunch of carb cleaner and that solved the problem. Also agree, that fuel filter was due to be replaced!
okie2ee
Motorcycle: 1992 Honda Goldwing 1500 Interstate
1986 Yamaha V-Max
1994 Yamaha V-Max

Post by okie2ee »

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=61442
Here's the link to the article on the electric shutoff valve..........paste this in your browser.............or go the DIY articles for 1500 GL and search for "Install electric solenoid fuel shutoff valve"............unlikely that the fuel filter would randomly block fuel flow and then go back to normal...............an easy check for leaking vacuum fuel shutoff valve is to bypass it which can be easily done with the existing hose..........