fuel pump

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
PMC777
Motorcycle: 1997 GL 1500 Aspencade

fuel pump

Post by PMC777 »

Hi all, I have a 97 gl1500 that's been sitting almost a year.. It's on the center stand in my garage and I start it now and then to keep the engine and battery happy... until they weren't. The bike roared up as usual for a second or two while I was reaching to let up on the choke then the engine died and wouldn't restart. I think I narrowed it down to the fuel pump. A tester lights up when I connect to the "B" terminal on the pump and crank the engine, so it's getting power. Then I removed the hose off the fuel filter and turned it over and nothing came out. Am I crazy or is that a telltale sign my pump is bad? If it is, am I stuck to buying a new one for 3 or 4 hundred dollars or is there a way cheaper alternative?
Thanks in advance for any advice!

JD Diesel
Motorcycle: 1999 1500 se
White

Re: fuel pump

Post by JD Diesel »

I got mine couple months ago and it was 240.00. Just checked there upto 320.00. check amazon they sell pump repair kit for like 70.00.
JD
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

To be sure, power the pump with a jumper and check for flow at the pump. The minimum volume is in the service manual. Depending on where you opened the line you might have a clogged fuel filter, collapsed line, or a bad petcock, best to check it right at the pump, and without the starter going. And yes there are alternative pumps, but many have a bit too much pressure and can cause flooding problems, so beware and measure the pressure. Don't just rely on the advertised specs.
PMC777

Post by PMC777 »

Thanks for the reply, I also ran a jumper.. I disconnected the black wire from the "B" terminal on the pump plate and jumped straight from the battery and got nothing. I disconnected the hose before the filter so it wouldn't be an issue.
I found a company on line called QFS that makes a pump for goldwing. They are a US (california) company. The pump comes with 2 strainers and a lifetime guarantee for $70. Lots of 5 star reviews. I think it's worth a shot.
Thanks, PMC
PMC777

Post by PMC777 »

Update on that QFS fuel pump. I came across another forum where a mechanic was talking about installing them into tanks for people and there was an issue with the pumps not having a check valve, or a check valve that doesn't work. If you need to remove your gas line for some reason, gas pours out all over. He said if you were in an accident and the gas line got compromised, you could be facing a serious fire hazard.
Back to the drawing board for a replacement pump. If anyone has suggestions, please feel free to suggest!
DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
'80 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
'93 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
'83 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
'72 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
'78 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
'77 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

There is no check valve in the stock fuel pump that I'm aware of.

Fuel petcock is supposed to stop fuel flow in event of a tip over.

As to removing the fuel line, even a stock fuel pump will flow fuel when the fuel line is disconnected and the fuel tank is full, the gas cap is significantly higher on the tank than the fuel pump access and fuel filter. If your tank is less than 3/4 full the fuel level will be under the the fuel pump access, and unless you start a siphon no fuel will flow.

Pretty hard to compromise the fuel line on a 1500, even in a crash. By the time the fuel line is compromised, I'd figure the tank has already been crushed by accident forces..... Just sayin'.

So if the QFS fuel pump outputs the correct pressure (1.5 - 2 psi) I'd say go with it!
A local inventor has figured a way to turn a sausage grinder backward to manufacture pigs. :lol:

♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:
~Mark
PMC777

Post by PMC777 »

I can't find any of the suitable replacements mentioned in forums (napa, airtech, delphi, etc) so I went ahead and ordered the QFS one today. It is on Amazon, so easy to order with free shipping.. Done!
The company advertises that it's specific for use on 95 to 2003 goldwings,so I'll try it and leave a comment if I don't have any problems for future reference.
PMC
martyfair227
Motorcycle: 2002 Goldwing GL1800

Post by martyfair227 »

PMC777 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:04 pm Update on that QFS fuel pump. I came across another forum where a mechanic was talking about installing them into tanks for people and there was an issue with the pumps not having a check valve, or a check valve that doesn't work. If you need to remove your gas line for some reason, gas pours out all over. He said if you were in an accident and the gas line got compromised, you could be facing a serious fire hazard.
Back to the drawing board for a replacement pump. If anyone has suggestions, please feel free to suggest!
Why couldn't you buy the $70 pump and add inline check valve? Or on and off valve, inline?
Last edited by martyfair227 on Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Big bird"
martyfair227

Post by martyfair227 »

PMC777 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:04 pm Update on that QFS fuel pump. I came across another forum where a mechanic was talking about installing them into tanks for people and there was an issue with the pumps not having a check valve, or a check valve that doesn't work. If you need to remove your gas line for some reason, gas pours out all over. He said if you were in an accident and the gas line got compromised, you could be facing a serious fire hazard.
Why couldn't you buy the $70 pump and add inline check valve? Or on and off inline?
"Big bird"
martyfair227

Post by martyfair227 »

DenverWinger wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:09 pm There is no check valve in the stock fuel pump that I'm aware of.

Fuel petcock is supposed to stop fuel flow in event of a tip over.

As to removing the fuel line, even a stock fuel pump will flow fuel when the fuel line is disconnected and the fuel tank is full, the gas cap is significantly higher on the tank than the fuel pump access and fuel filter. If your tank is less than 3/4 full the fuel level will be under the the fuel pump access, and unless you start a siphon no fuel will flow.

Pretty hard to compromise the fuel line on a 1500, even in a crash. By the time the fuel line is compromised, I'd figure the tank has already been crushed by accident forces..... Just sayin'.

So if the QFS fuel pump outputs the correct pressure (1.5 - 2 psi) I'd say go with it!

I may be way off base here, but why couldn't you just install an inline check valve , or a manual off and on valve inline and use the $70 pump?
"Big bird"
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

PMC777 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:56 pm I can't find any of the suitable replacements mentioned in forums (napa, airtech, delphi, etc) so I went ahead and ordered the QFS one today. It is on Amazon, so easy to order with free shipping.. Done!
The company advertises that it's specific for use on 95 to 2003 goldwings,so I'll try it and leave a comment if I don't have any problems for future reference.
PMC
Well the first red flag would be that 1995 is carbureted using 1 to 2 PSI and 2003 is fuel injected with a high pressure pump. Totally different animals.
Measure the pressure of your pump before you hook it to your carbs just to make sure it's not too high.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Rambozo wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:52 am
PMC777 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:56 pm I can't find any of the suitable replacements mentioned in forums (napa, airtech, delphi, etc) so I went ahead and ordered the QFS one today. It is on Amazon, so easy to order with free shipping.. Done!
PMC
Well the first red flag would be that 1995 is carbureted using 1 to 2 PSI and 2003 is fuel injected with a high pressure pump. Totally different animals.
Measure the pressure of your pump before you hook it to your carbs just to make sure it's not too high.
I think this is the one he purchased, and it does look like it is for carbureted bikes. I too question why they think it would work for 2001-2003 Goldwings, it definitely wouldn't. I would also rip off that crappy plastic flex tube and replace it with proper fuel line - that's just asking for failure.

PMC777

Post by PMC777 »

I'm going to run to Harbor Freight to pick up a fuel pressure gauge to see how it works. The only thing that bugs me is the open terminals. Some heat shrink or something would make me feel safer than open terminals in a gas tank. Maybe I'm being overly cautious..? The terminals aren't labeled either, I suppose it doesn't matter which wire goes where...?

This is everything that comes in the box including a Quantum sticker...
Attachments

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Fuel, including ethanol-laced fuel, is a very poor conductor. You're safe having the terminals exposed/uninsulated. Just make sure they are tight, so there is no chance of sparking or arcing.