Ground Problem?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
FirstWing1982
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Ground Problem?

Post by FirstWing1982 »

I went to start my 1989 1500 yesterday after it sat for 2 weeks. Battery had been on the Junior so it was fully charged. The 1st attempt, all instrument lights and headlight came on and it cranked over fine. As usual, it didn't didn't start immediately (cold and choke on). On the 2nd attempt, I noted the time display showed 1:11, not the correct time and the headlight wasn't on. Hit the start button and everything was completely dead. Lucky me, I was in the garage and not on the road. Resulting diagnoses, no fuses burned out, but one the relay in the box seemed to be buzzing/humming when ignition was turned on. I could not determine which one exactly. Each one was taken out and individually tested with direct power to terminals. They all contacted/clicked normally. I then checked negative battery terminal and there was no corrosion. Ground to engine had no corrosion.

I turned key to ACC and neutral, side stand and oil lights lit with time reverting to normal but no headlight, switched to ON and all lights went off with no response to the start button. There was also no buzz sound from the relays. When in P the taillights illuminate, as they should. I do not enjoy electrical issues. I could not find anything similar problem in the Forums. Please help.

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: Ground Problem?

Post by Rambozo »

Sure sounds like a bad power or ground. Unless you can see electrons, you need to test with a meter. Visual inspections just don't cut it.
FirstWing1982
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by FirstWing1982 »

I do have a multimeter. I'm going to start with the supply to the fuses as there was a buzz (as if weak power) to one of them.
MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
191K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
28K Miles

Post by MikeB »

FirstWing1982 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:50 pm I went to start my 1989 1500 yesterday after it sat for 2 weeks. Battery had been on the Junior so it was fully charged. The 1st attempt, all instrument lights and headlight came on and it cranked over fine. As usual, it didn't didn't start immediately (cold and choke on). On the 2nd attempt, I noted the time display showed 1:11, not the correct time and the headlight wasn't on. Hit the start button and everything was completely dead. Lucky me, I was in the garage and not on the road. Resulting diagnoses, no fuses burned out, but one the relay in the box seemed to be buzzing/humming when ignition was turned on. I could not determine which one exactly. Each one was taken out and individually tested with direct power to terminals. They all contacted/clicked normally. I then checked negative battery terminal and there was no corrosion. Ground to engine had no corrosion.

I turned key to ACC and neutral, side stand and oil lights lit with time reverting to normal but no headlight, switched to ON and all lights went off with no response to the start button. There was also no buzz sound from the relays. When in P the taillights illuminate, as they should. I do not enjoy electrical issues. I could not find anything similar problem in the Forums. Please help.
Batteries do fail while on a Battery Tender. It has happened to me so I know it is possible.

When you switch to ACC, you should not have a neutral, side stand, or oil light illuminated. When switching to ON is when you should have those dash lights and the headlights and running lights. If the things go dead when switched to ON then you most likely have a bad battery or battery connections.
MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 1968 - 1986 / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 1986 - 1992. Retired
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 1992 - 2014
Retired in Tacoma, WA
FirstWing1982
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by FirstWing1982 »

Thanks MikeB. Zoomzoom. I forgot the the correct voltage doesn't mean the cranking amps are still top notch. Boosted with a new deepcycle RV battery I had in the garage. Time to head to the store and replace the battery. Weird things happen when it's not functioning right. On the other positive side, I learned other things about the bike that I hadn't known before.