LED 1156 & 1157 replacement

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
wezx
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A

Re: LED 1156 & 1157 replacement

Post by wezx »

Rambozo wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:52 pm These newfangled electric lights are just a passing fad.
So where can I get some carbide turn signals?
LOLOL

gford
Motorcycle: 1999 Goldwing SE

Post by gford »

that's all they are a passing fad, cause more problems then they are worth, but, your bike do what you want.
wezx

Post by wezx »

gford wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:28 pm that's all they are a passing fad, cause more problems then they are worth, but, your bike do what you want.
So you think all the auto/motorcycle manufacturers are going to go back to incandescents?! Seems highly unlikely they’re going to go backwards. LOL
4given
Motorcycle: 1996 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Post by 4given »

gford wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:28 pm that's all they are a passing fad, cause more problems then they are worth, but, your bike do what you want.
I’ll never go back. One of the best improvements I’ve made, for the performance of the alternator and the life of the battery. Brighter lights are an added plus.
“Fight the fight and do what is right“
DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
'80 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
'93 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
'83 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
'72 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
'78 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
'77 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

I've upgraded the trunk and saddlebag side lights from incandescent to LED because half the old bulbs were burned out, and also upgraded the cornering lights from incandescent to 50 watt LED because one side was burned out, and I wanted to run them "always on" which you can't do with incandescents because they're too hot and melt the fixtures.

I also changed the brake lights in the trunk (not the lower ones on the bags) to those LED lights that flash 5 times and then go solid. Brighter and get attention. I didn't change these because of burned out bulbs, but I thought they were a worthy upgrade.

Might upgrade the rear turn signals to LED if I can find some really bright ones (none of the turn bulbs are burned out yet). I also thought about changing the front Position lights to the 50 watt LED (Cyclemax sells them) to match my cornering lights but if I do that I'd change turn signals as well while I'm in there. But then I'd have to fiddle with the flashers, is it worth it?

I rarely drive at night, the halogen headlights in there now throw plenty of light, and LED replacements are pretty spendy with mixed reviews. Prolly not worth the effort until one of the halogens goes out. Then I might consider it. By then might be better LED's anyway.

Never had any problems with available current from the alternator, I have a Japanese Hitachi High-output, it nicely powers all the incandescents, including the incandescent-lit camper trailer and the high-power stereo without complaint.

But as time goes on, and bulbs burn out, I suppose the bike will eventually be all LED powered.... :lol:
A local inventor has figured a way to turn a sausage grinder backward to manufacture pigs. :lol:

♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:
~Mark
gford

Post by gford »

wezx wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:58 pm
So you think all the auto/motorcycle manufacturers are going to go back to incandescents?! Seems highly unlikely they’re going to go backwards. LOL
You seem upset that everybody is not obsessed with leds as you are. People have different opinions and not all agree that leds are the answer to the goldwing lighting problem that does not exist
wezx

Post by wezx »

gford wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:31 am
You seem upset that everybody is not obsessed with leds as you are. People have different opinions and not all agree that leds are the answer to the goldwing lighting problem that does not exist
Nope…just find it funny that you think prevalent ubiquitous technology is a “passing fad”…hence the “LOL” in the post ;-)
gford

Post by gford »

wezx wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:55 pm

Nope…just find it funny that you think prevalent ubiquitous technology is a “passing fad”…hence the “LOL” in the post ;-)
LOL, WEZX. I'm going to level with you, its a cold boring day here in the north and I was actually fishing to see if you would get wound up over LEDs. This is a great forum and I should NOT have done what I did and for that I apologize. I have learned a lot over the years from this forum and you yourself may have contributed to some of the knowledge I learned on here. Glad to see you kept your cool and you are 100% correct that LEDS are way better than the bulbs that came with our wings.

Gary
wezx

Post by wezx »

gford wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:36 pm
wezx wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:55 pm

LOL, WEZX. I'm going to level with you, its a cold boring day here in the north and I was actually fishing to see if you would get wound up over LEDs. This is a great forum and I should NOT have done what I did and for that I apologize. I have learned a lot over the years from this forum and you yourself may have contributed to some of the knowledge I learned on here. Glad to see you kept your cool and you are 100% correct that LEDS are way better than the bulbs that came with our wings.

Gary
Hey Gary, don’t sweat it at all man! It’s so difficult to read intent and tone when reading text anyway. No worries! I like LED’s but I’m not really nutty about them LOL I’m mainly switching everything over because It’s cut down on the draw from my Alternator - makes my heated gear more consistent. I do know people who are REALLY into LED and EVERYTHING they own has been switched over. LOL