Air shock acting strange. Is this ATF ok for my air shock?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Quick Cal
Motorcycle: 1989 1500 Goldwing

Air shock acting strange. Is this ATF ok for my air shock?

Post by Quick Cal »

I got this bike last year. The air suspension has never worked, so I didn't know how many psi was in it, if any. That is fixed now and working fine.

I recently changed the back tire and I had let the air shock droop down. I hit the air button to see if the swing arm would move. This shock has never leaked oil before that I am aware of. Now it has leaked some oil out. Did I blow the seal? It's all put back together. I cleaned up the oil and it doesn't appear to be leaking oil or air. It's been holding 26psi for 2 weeks.

So I did get a new seal to rebuild it, but am dragging my feet,,,lol. I have this fluid on hand. I can't find the velocity of it. But I've read that atf is 10 and will work in our air shocks. But then I read the following. Just want to make sure this stuff will be ok? Thanks

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/10543/A ... 540-122082

"Excellent viscosity stability (high viscosity index) to help assure adequate lubrication without
excessive thinning in severe high-temperature service or thickening at low starting temperatures".

blupupher
Motorcycle: 2002 Goldwing GL1800A

Re: Air shock acting strange. Is this ATF ok for my air shock?

Post by blupupher »

I used regular ATF (I think some Maxlife ATF) when I did my rear shock last year.

Here is a how to on it

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18481&sid=c4cd7c68 ... 84d8671acf
2002 Goldwing GL1800A