KRISS AMP U TRON meter

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Anaynor
Motorcycle: 1997 Gl1500 SE

KRISS AMP U TRON meter

Post by Anaynor »

Please! Does anyone have one of these laying around or know of an aftermarket replacement or another good alternative? This is a Kriss Volt, amp, and outside air temp guage. Any and all replies are appreciated in advance. Company that makes these has gone out of business. I've been told that bikes had to be special ordered with these meters, but they came factory. Kriss apparently made these specifically for Goldwings and Harleys. Any help is greatly appreciated again, Thank you!!! Pic is attached. Notice my dash is molded with hole, not cut like aftermarket install.
Attachments

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: KRISS AMP U TRON meter

Post by WingAdmin »

Anaynor wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:54 pm Please! Does anyone have one of these laying around or know of an aftermarket replacement or another good alternative? This is a Kriss Volt, amp, and outside air temp guage. Any and all replies are appreciated in advance. Company that makes these has gone out of business. I've been told that bikes had to be special ordered with these meters, but they came factory. Kriss apparently made these specifically for Goldwings and Harleys. Any help is greatly appreciated again, Thank you!!! Pic is attached. Notice my dash is molded with hole, not cut like aftermarket install.
All the GL1500s had that hole molded in place. It was there to hold the badge:

Badge
Badge

Various different badges (anniversary badges, etc) were used here.

I am absolutely sure these meters did not come from the factory, and were not an option. A dealer might have added it before selling the bike as new? But they never came from the factory like that, and were not an "option" that you could order.

They've been talked about here before:

viewtopic.php?t=19820
Anaynor

Post by Anaynor »

Thank you for the reply, But unfortunately the question was intended for an alternative meter thats plug n go cause I'm not much on wiring....this thing goes into my wiring harness and is forever lost from that point forward. Whether or not its a factory install doesn't really matter since the bike isn't showroom and is ridden daily. I really used that meter a lot and need a replacement soon. No dealer near me will touch this bike, I'm told; "Its too old to work on".... All the smaller shops ultimately laugh when I pull up....all say; Goldwings are a nightmare, so they stay away from them...at this point, Guess I look for an electronics repair person to help....?🤷‍♂️ Thank you again!
bbrackett
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by bbrackett »

If you find something please post.
kwthom
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800

Post by kwthom »

Not exactly difficult to find...when you know where to look. Company went out of business in 2018, I see.

Saved to the forum as TXT. When you download to your computer, change the filetype to .PDF to be able to open with your favorite PDF reader. This is the installation manual for the device. The admin may have to approve it being on the forum, but I've opened this on my own computer with no issue.

From an electrical engineering perspective, this is fairly simplistic stuff. The addition of the ammeter function requires the addition of the shunt and the other negative lead in order to get this function to work.

Unless a person could identify the connector that's being used in order to see if it can be replaced, wiring in an automotive-based volt/amp meter wound not be a challenge. Getting something that would fit precisely in that hole might be a different kettle of fish. I mean, got a size (in mm) for that hole? How much space is needed behind it?

I think we tried back in the late '80's to get a small run of PCB's for automated test equipment I was working on for a major defense contractor from this company.

They wanted entirely too much, as they wanted to do the entire job. I worked with an entire staff of 15 that did small-scale assembly daily...wasn't any way we were were going to take that work away.

Hope that helps...
Attachments

Kriss Amp-U-Tron.pdf.txt
(85.99 KiB) Downloaded 17 times

Effective 07/02/2022, in a self-imposed "social media detox" - focusing on offline social interactions and actions.
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

These days you can get custom PCBs from China dirt cheap and to your door often in just a few days. JLCPCB, PCBWay, etc. Making boards at home is so not worth it anymore. Plus all the bells and whistles like plated through holes, multi layer, custom drilling and routing, silk screening, even pick and place assembly. 5 boards for $2 I'm sure you could open that meter and make a new board for it with modern electronics.
bbrackett

Post by bbrackett »

I had a Voltage gauge like this for my 1200

https://www.wish.com/search/volt%20amp% ... &share=web

you could do this..

I have one of these on my 1500
just below where your V gauge is

Rambozo
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

Honda did make one item that attached there. One version of the 4 speaker fader. But of course it included a replacement emblem. No way Honda would give up that emblem location.

bbrackett

Post by bbrackett »

there was someone that made a 2" Gauge pod..
Rambozo
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

bbrackett wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:53 pm there was someone that made a 2" Gauge pod..
Fox Creek made the original gauge pod. Then a couple of years ago one of the members here, bluthunder reproduced them and called them the unobtainium. I believe they are also out of production now.
Anaynor

Post by Anaynor »

Thank you to everyone one that took time for a reply. The responses where awesome. Im new to the group and kinda new (2 years) to Goldwing, but not to motorcycles. I've owned many but nothing close to a Goldwing with all its complexities! Unfortunately, I have No background in Electronics, or electrical engineering.... (I had trouble installing an external 12v power source.) Lol! These bikes aren't the friendliest to work on either....A small business here local works with all different kinds of electronics so I'm going to see them this week. Think if at all possible, ill have them put another display on mine. I'll update everyone as I learn more. In the meantime if anyone finds one,( reasonable) Please let me know!!! Thanks again everyone!!! You guys are amazing!!!
kwthom

Post by kwthom »

Anaynor wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:16 am ....A small business here local works with all different kinds of electronics so I'm going to see them this week. Think if at all possible, ill have them put another display on mine. I'll update everyone as I learn more. In the meantime if anyone finds one,( reasonable) Please let me know!!! Thanks again everyone!!! You guys are amazing!!!
Luck to you, but they might have some difficulties, since they may not know the proper way to remove that piece of the dash in order to get access to the meter itself.

You state the bike is a daily rider. This might mean YOU may need to be the person that needs to understand how this function works for you to resolve it in a timely manner.

Luck to you!
Anaynor

Post by Anaynor »

Thank you for the reply! I'll update soon!
bbrackett

Post by bbrackett »

unobtainium - is so folks have a blank slate for replacing the radio and they are being made again
I have not seen many of the gauge pods except on ebay
Anaynor

Post by Anaynor »

@bbrackett Are you saying they are unobtainable? I've searched on ebay and nothing. Tell me more of this blank radio thing, I'd love to upgrade my stereo system to something more modern.
kwthom

Post by kwthom »

Anaynor wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:01 am @bbrackett Are you saying they are unobtainable? I've searched on ebay and nothing. Tell me more of this blank radio thing, I'd love to upgrade my stereo system to something more modern.
Yes.

The name of the item was Unobtanium 2.1 and they are no longer available. A Google search for "BLUTHUNDER UNOBTAINIUM gl1500" will send you down the path to see the history behind this very limited run aftermarket item.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Rambozo wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:52 pm These days you can get custom PCBs from China dirt cheap and to your door often in just a few days. JLCPCB, PCBWay, etc. Making boards at home is so not worth it anymore. Plus all the bells and whistles like plated through holes, multi layer, custom drilling and routing, silk screening, even pick and place assembly. 5 boards for $2 I'm sure you could open that meter and make a new board for it with modern electronics.
Yup, I've done it for many years. The boards they produce are of excellent quality, and far better than I could ever do on my own. Plus many of the providers give away free software. I have used ExpressPCB for many years, they give away circuit design and PCB design/layout software, which exports directly to them. You design the circuit, connect it to the PCB layout, make it look like you want, hit "send" and a few days later, the PCB shows up at your door.

Breadboard and PCB for my Bike PC
Breadboard and PCB for my Bike PC

Assembled unit
Assembled unit

Anaynor

Post by Anaynor »

Thanks for yalls input and suggestions, but unfortunately I don't have a clue about anything yall are talking about....The whole "PCB is completely foreign to me and my limited knowledge with electronics. I can barely operate the TV remote! Lol! Maybe someone local can help me out with the rebuild...!?
offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Post by offcenter »

I have one of those Kriss units on my 1500, installed by the previous owner. But mine is black, not silver.
Yours is the only other one I've ever seen.
Good luck finding someone to fix it.
(and NO, mine isn't for sale)
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"
Anaynor

Post by Anaynor »

Good morning and Thank you for the reply. Mine isn't silver, its black in color as well. Guess its the lighting and camera angle. Thru much research, I've learned these were designed and made specifically for Goldwing. Made to fit where the Goldwing badge is. Anyway, Kriss Industries went out of business years ago and unfortunately, No replacement exists. Take good care of yours! Lol!