Relay Trouble ??

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
todehnal
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500A Aspencade

Relay Trouble ??

Post by todehnal »

First, I am hopeful that Scott will see this. Scott, we have the same ride. I've been riding Wings for 30 years now. Starting with a slightly used 1988 GL1500 and many miles. I then moved to a 2009 GL1800, which I only had for 1 season. My wife was not as happy with the ride as a passenger, and since I had passed my 88 on to my son, I went in search of another GL1500. I was fortunate enough to find a 2000 GL1500 with only 7K miles on it and it has been my pride ride. No doubt, the GL1500 is the Cadillac of motorcycles, and yes, the 2000 model is greatly improved over the original 1988 model. Scott, your posts, videos, and how to guides are fantastic and greatly appreciated. They are well done and have added greatly to my years of Goldwing pleasure.

I'm seeing an intermittent electrical problem that has just started. Occasionally when I turn on the ignition, the display is blank, and the radio is inop, as well as the intercom. The bike still starts and runs fine, even with these missing functions. I have found that by turning the ignition "on and off" several times, I can get the display and audio functions back, and everything works fine. I suspect that eventually, repeated ignition switch operations may not be successful in restoring things to normal.

So, does that sound like a relay issue, and if so, do you have any idea as to which one.?? I have not ordered any of the relays that you offer, as I didn't see the need, but it looks like it is time to place an order, Thanks for your help, and I look forward to your reply. Also, I might add that I will appreciate relies from all members, I just find it interesting that our forum administrator finds that a 2000 model GL1500 is as enjoyable as I do.

From a happy Wing rider, Tom

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Re: Relay Trouble ??

Post by bellboy40 »

Hey Tom, I'm another happy 2000 GL1500 rider. I think your trouble is the ignition switch. I think one of the segments is not making good contact. Mine is doing the same thing sometimes. I too can get it working again by jigging the switch back and forth a time or two. I don't know if something can be done to fix it without replacing the switch or not. Mine is not bad enough to go that route yet but the day may come when I have to do something with it. Maybe someone will come along with some experience with this problem.
DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
'80 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
'93 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
'83 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
'72 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
'78 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
'77 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

Hi Tom,
The Stereo is not powered thru a relay, It gets power directly from the ACC terminal on the ignition switch thru fuse #10. Replacing relays won't fix this.

With only 7k miles it is likely there is some corrosion on the ignition switch contacts, this may clear up with continued use.

You may be able to remove the switch plate from the bottom of the lock cylinder to disassemble and clean the switch contacts, but I've had no need to do that on a 1500 so not sure if possible, maybe someone else here has experience with that and will speak up.

Doubtful the switch is worn out, I'd just continue driving it for a while and see if it gets better.
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary numbers, and those that don't. :lol:

♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:
~Mark
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Hi Tom,

I'm thinking your problem might be the ignition switch.

When this problem occurs, check the accessory terminal in your fuse box, above the fuses. If you have +12V there, but the radio/display are still off, then you've got something else going on (perhaps a failing fuse #10?). If you do not have +12V on your accessory terminal, then chances are you have a failing ignition switch. You might be able to fix it with just electrical contact cleaner, but it may need an actual repair.
todehnal
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500A Aspencade

Post by todehnal »

Gentlemen, Thanks so much for your prompt replies. I should have mentioned my current mileage. I bought my 2000 GL1500 a few years ago with only 7K miles on it, but it now has 46K miles on it and has always been garage kept. The general consensus seems to be that my problem is with the ignition switch itself, and after thinking about my situation, I think you are right. Scott's idea to check for 12 volts at the top of the accessory fuse panel will be easy to do the next time that this happens. One more item that I noticed during the last failure was that the display and audio came to life as I turned the key to the "ACC" position, but failed as soon as I continued on to the "ON" position. That certainly point to the ignition switch as being the culprit. So, I think that identifying the source of the problem may have been the easy part. But if switch replacement becomes necessary, that appears to be more like open heart surgery. I won't give up on it because this is truly our favorite ride. I think it's the best two-up touring bike out there. Time will tell regarding the fix, and I will post any breaking news on the subject. Thanks to all........Tom
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

todehnal wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:03 pm Gentlemen, Thanks so much for your prompt replies. I should have mentioned my current mileage. I bought my 2000 GL1500 a few years ago with only 7K miles on it, but it now has 46K miles on it and has always been garage kept. The general consensus seems to be that my problem is with the ignition switch itself, and after thinking about my situation, I think you are right. Scott's idea to check for 12 volts at the top of the accessory fuse panel will be easy to do the next time that this happens. One more item that I noticed during the last failure was that the display and audio came to life as I turned the key to the "ACC" position, but failed as soon as I continued on to the "ON" position. That certainly point to the ignition switch as being the culprit. So, I think that identifying the source of the problem may have been the easy part. But if switch replacement becomes necessary, that appears to be more like open heart surgery. I won't give up on it because this is truly our favorite ride. I think it's the best two-up touring bike out there. Time will tell regarding the fix, and I will post any breaking news on the subject. Thanks to all........Tom
Yup, that definitely points to the ignition switch as the source of the problem.

And yes...getting that switch out is, by design, a nightmare. The two bolts holding them in actually shear their driven portions off during installation, so there is no way to remove them with tools, to prevent someone from just unbolting the ignition to steal the bike. Some people cut slots in the bolt heads, some drill them out, some people weld nuts to the tops of them. It's a lot of disassembly, in any case.

Have a read through: Ignition switch removal 1500

Ignition shear bolts
Ignition shear bolts