Intermittent LCD screen

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
sidecarwilliam
Motorcycle: GL1500SE

Intermittent LCD screen

Post by sidecarwilliam »

I have a 1999 GL1500SE with 108000 miles.
My problem is the LCD screen works when it likes and not at other times. When it works it's fine. When it does not work it is completely blank. If I go for a ride anyway it will come on at some time and work just fine until the next time. I see no reason for it working or not working, it seems to just do its thing when it wants.
This happens sometimes when it has been sitting with the Battery Tender on and other times when restating after a gas or lunch break.
Battery is fine and everything else on the bike works as it should.
Anyone got ideas?
Thanks,

bill.

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: Intermittent LCD screen

Post by Rambozo »

Often the board that drives the LCD gets moisture sensitive. Only works when warm and dry. Not sure if there is a fix apart from replacing the board. If you search here you will find many others with the same issues, and how it was corrected.
sidecarwilliam

Post by sidecarwilliam »

I live in California and we don't get wet we just burn :lol: . The bike is always inside the garage. If outside on a trip its under cover.
The problem happens no matter the weather. Today the LCD was on when I rolled the bike out but off when I restarted it a few minutes later.
4given
Motorcycle: 1996 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Post by 4given »

I think Rambozo was referring to a condensation issue which can happen anytime there is a change in temperature. If you search “GL1500 LCD display repair/replace” on this site there is a wealth of discussion on the subject.
“Fight the fight and do what is right“
sidecarwilliam

Post by sidecarwilliam »

I am not sure the LCD itself is the problem. I need to find what the unit has in common with the clock and then go for an intermittent open.
When the LCD comes on it stays on and works as it should. The clock losses its time which makes me think it may be and open such as a ground that isn't grounded but becomes grounded. The bike yesterday, the LED was on when first fired up and then off when I restarted it 15 minutes later. It came back on 3 miles down the road and the clock was once again at a random time. It worked fine the rest of the day when started and stopped several times.
I may be looking at this wrong but it seems to me that the problem is not the LCD but the power to it and the clock.
I am open to suggestions.
Thanks,

bill.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

sidecarwilliam wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:31 pm I am not sure the LCD itself is the problem. I need to find what the unit has in common with the clock and then go for an intermittent open.
When the LCD comes on it stays on and works as it should. The clock losses its time which makes me think it may be and open such as a ground that isn't grounded but becomes grounded. The bike yesterday, the LED was on when first fired up and then off when I restarted it 15 minutes later. It came back on 3 miles down the road and the clock was once again at a random time. It worked fine the rest of the day when started and stopped several times.
I may be looking at this wrong but it seems to me that the problem is not the LCD but the power to it and the clock.
Thanks,

bill.
Except...the symptoms you are describing are classic for the very well-known and relatively common problem of moisture in the LCD circuit board. Honestly, I would be looking there first.
sidecarwilliam

Post by sidecarwilliam »

Thank all of you for your replies. I have looked back over the site and those related questions and answers. I will be taking the dash apart at some point and will do what I can. BUT I was looking for a simple repair like smack the headlight twice and turn on the turn signals once and... :D .
I really don't look forward to taking the dash out so it will have to wait until I replace the starter on my Valkyrie/Daytona2+2 which will probably be just as much fun.
Thanks for your help.

bill.
Rambozo
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

There is one possible easy fix. In the relay box there is a backup fuse that keeps the clock and radio settings. (Does your radio keep the stations?) Make sure it is good and the connection is clean and tight. A goofy clock is often traced to that fuse being blown or loose. Otherwise it does sound like the classic LCD driver board fault.
sidecarwilliam

Post by sidecarwilliam »

Which fuse/relay would that be?
I like easy.
pwhoever
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Aspencade Pearl White
2007 GL1800 Premium Audio/Cofort/Navi/ABS Crucible Orange

Post by pwhoever »

sidecarwilliam wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:53 pm Which fuse/relay would that be?
I like easy.
I think he is talking about one of the fuses in the relay box. I know this sounds strange but for some reason, Honda decided to put 2 of the fuses inside with the relays. I don't recall which one of the 2 it is because I haven't had my 1500 for awhile now.

But back to the LCD, I don't think the fuses is going to help but it's still worth checking. But the LCD "problem" was most likely to pop up in the 96-97 model years so yours is a bit unusual. Do you know if the original dash display may have been swapped out for a used one form a 96-97? If it is the same problem, it shows up under conditions of high humidity. The only fixes are to grab a hair dryer and point it up into the fork tunnel from under the fairing to get it dried out or to take it for a ride. After several miles with wind blowing up there, it dries out, the idiot lights on dash will pop on for a second, and the LCD will be active again. Several have tried to solve this by trying to seal the ribbon cable between board and LCD or even cleaning back of circuit board with electronic cleaner and then sealing it with a lacquer spray paint. But it might work for a bit but always seemed to return. The only thing that did seem to work was to replace the LCD assembly with a newer one.
sidecarwilliam

Post by sidecarwilliam »

Thanks.
I live in SF Bay area. It hasn't rained here for a VERY long time.
The bike is garage kept. Hasn't snuck out at night on me so I find the board/ribbon idea odd.
I will follow it up, though as I have no where else to go. But, first the Valkyrie starter. :D
bill.
sidecarwilliam

Post by sidecarwilliam »

WingAdmin wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:38 pm
sidecarwilliam wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:31 pm I am not sure the LCD itself is the problem. I need to find what the unit has in common with the clock and then go for an intermittent open.
Thanks,

bill.
Except...the symptoms you are describing are classic for the very well-known and relatively common problem of moisture in the LCD circuit board. Honestly, I would be looking there first.
So, I looked though everything I could find on this site and others and don't seem to find a real FIX. I now understand that I will be looking at the board and the ribbon but no one seems to have a real answer how to "fix" the moisture problem, although silicone spray seems to be the most used idea. anyone done this and how long did the "fix" work.
I will be going in sooner rather than latter and would like to know how it has worked long term for others.
Thanks,

bill.
Rambozo
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

A new or refurbed board coated with conformal coating should do the job. The few that have done that have not had problems. The real issue is that it took 20 plus years for the original boards to fail, so you would need to wait another 20 years to see if your fix is good.
sidecarwilliam

Post by sidecarwilliam »

A new board??? Had not known they are available. Are they??
I do not know what a "conformal coating" is.
Electricity is still "black magic" to me.
I'll take all the info you have to offer.
Thanks,

bill.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

sidecarwilliam wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:59 pm A new board??? Had not known they are available. Are they??
I do not know what a "conformal coating" is.
Electricity is still "black magic" to me.
I'll take all the info you have to offer.
Thanks,

bill.
A conformal coating is just a nonconductive sealant that coats everything and seals it so moisture can't get in. You would obviously want to dry the board very well first - a few days in a food dehydrator would do the trick.

https://www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals-Pre ... B06XC3JBVJ
sidecarwilliam

Post by sidecarwilliam »

You were right.
Had my Grandson go through the unit once I removed it from the bike and he confirmed the moisture issue. He is a computer repair person and knows of the conformal coating. Since confirming the unit is back up working he has returned to his work and will coat the board and return it for reinstallation.
I really did not want to go that deep into the dash, but....
Thanks to all that had it right.

bill.