Side panel pins

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
michaelb
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500A SE

Side panel pins

Post by michaelb »

New to the GW community but finding myself neck-deep in projects already. Both of my side panels are missing one pin each and I was bellyaching to a friend. He said "why not print some new ones!?" So we did and they work perfectly! They are made of ABS, just like the side panels. Acetone is the solvent of choice: it's not a glue, it actually melts and bonds the ABS together into one part. I filed the broken pin on the panel down flat with a file; the bottom of the pin is perfectly flat and surface contact is important. Apply some acetone to both parts with small brush and push them together for a little while. Let dry 20 minutes or so and problem solved!

The question is: Is there already a source for these, or is this an untapped market? I'd love to sell some, support other GW owners, and I'm not looking to get rich quick. What's a fair price and is anybody interested?

Here's a pic of mine. I only have white right now, but ABS is paintable and we are planning on getting another color or two in the future. For now, it's utility: it works and it isn't seen unless you're taking it apart. Any interest??

offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Re: Side panel pins

Post by offcenter »

I think that's a GREAT idea!
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"
Sadanorakman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE (Blue)
1991 GL1500 SE (Gold)

Post by Sadanorakman »

Really great idea; I'm sure people will want to buy these from you.

Although 3d printers are becoming more popular, I'd say that's mostly with a younger demographic than your average 1500 owner.

Adding to that, ABS is not that easy to print well (requiring high-ish temperatures, giving off unhealthy fumes, and shrinking a fair bit on cooling). It's therefore a further minority who utilise it!

Are you printing these vertically or horizontally? Have you tested to see what the layer adhesion is like? Although probably more problematic to print horizontally, they'd likely be stronger.
Last edited by Sadanorakman on Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

The actual name (that Honda uses) for those pins are "bosses".

Add-On Accessories made a kit like this a while back:

https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/side_c ... /86/136689

However...theirs were not ABS, and because they were dissimilar, incompatible plastics, they had to be bonded in place using epoxy, which they included. Not really ideal.

Ideally replacements should be made of ABS, and bonded in place using MEK or another ABS solvent, so that the plastics chemically fuse together and become a single piece of plastic, instead of a piece held in place by epoxy.
michaelb

Post by michaelb »

WingAdmin wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:25 pm The actual name (that Honda uses) for those pins are "bosses".

IMG_1790_i2.JPG

However...theirs were not ABS, and because they were dissimilar, incompatible plastics, they had to be bonded in place using epoxy, which they included. Not really ideal.

Ideally replacements should be made of ABS, and bonded in place using MEK or another ABS solvent, so that the plastics chemically fuse together and become a single piece of plastic, instead of a piece held in place by epoxy.
Holy crap that looks awful. I wouldn't buy it. I was also thinking about a very, very different price point. I want to be in the area of a few bucks, easy fix, not breaking the bank.
Sadanorakman
1991 GL1500 SE (Gold)

Post by Sadanorakman »

WingAdmin wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:25 pm
Couldn't agree more. When polishing my bike last week, the left deflector exploded into about six pieces: Seems the previous owner had broken it, then glued it all back together with epoxy! Wish he'd used MEK instead!

Anyone got a spare in Pearl Coronado Blue? (Used on 1993 and 2000 model years).
michaelb

Post by michaelb »

michaelb wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:58 am New to the GW community but finding myself neck-deep in projects already. Both of my side panels are missing one pin each and I was bellyaching to a friend. He said "why not print some new ones!?" So we did and they work perfectly! They are made of ABS, just like the side panels. Acetone is the solvent of choice: it's not a glue, it actually melts and bonds the ABS together into one part. I filed the broken pin on the panel down flat with a file; the bottom of the pin is perfectly flat and surface contact is important. Apply some acetone to both parts with small brush and push them together for a little while. Let dry 20 minutes or so and problem solved!

The question is: Is there already a source for these, or is this an untapped market? I'd love to sell some, support other GW owners, and I'm not looking to get rich quick. What's a fair price and is anybody interested?

Here's a pic of mine. I only have white right now, but ABS is paintable and we are planning on getting another color or two in the future. For now, it's utility: it works and it isn't seen unless you're taking it apart. Any interest??
Update: The first print was something like "15% infill" and it snapped off the first time I took the panel back off. We bumped it up to 55% infill and found it was only nominally stronger. We printed them laying down instead of standing up. I've pulled the panel off several times (the first time carefully, the other times less so), and it seems to be holding on very well. I used the model from Thingiverse so I won't take credit for the design but I'd be more than happy to print a few and pass them along if you cover cost of materials and shipping.
Sadanorakman
1991 GL1500 SE (Gold)

Post by Sadanorakman »

michaelb wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:24 pm
Update: The first print was something like "15% infill" and it snapped off the first time I took the panel back off. We bumped it up to 55% infill and found it was only nominally stronger. We printed them laying down instead of standing up. I've pulled the panel off several times (the first time carefully, the other times less so), and it seems to be holding on very well.
Exactly as I stated: I was concerned the layer adhesion wouldn't be good enough when printing vertically.

Strength would likely reduce with infill above where you have it now at 55%

Have you tried printing 5 or 10 degrees C hotter to see if that improves the strength?
pidjones
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800A
1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine (project)

Post by pidjones »

Rescuing old GL1000s, broken tabs and panes are often an issue. My soution has been Oatey ABS plumbing cement and General Cleaner to bond parts/patches from wrecked bikes (also good for repairing cracked ABS, can be reinforced with fiberglass cloth). My local Honda service manager supplied me with a stack of take-offs from a ~2014 GL1800 (almost an entire side). Cut pieces out with a multi-tool.
dwarven1
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by dwarven1 »

michaelb wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:31 pm
WingAdmin wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:25 pm The actual name (that Honda uses) for those pins are "bosses".

IMG_1790_i2.JPG

Holy crap that looks awful. I wouldn't buy it. I was also thinking about a very, very different price point. I want to be in the area of a few bucks, easy fix, not breaking the bank.
It doesn't really hold very well, either, and it's a royal pain to try and line the pin up properly. I settled for replacing all the grommets with new ones and right now I'm running one pin down. So far the panel is still there...
rmctaggart55
Motorcycle: 2000 Gl1500SE

Post by rmctaggart55 »

Do you have the Thingiverse ID for the part?
tim.mckee
Motorcycle: 1999 Honda GL 1500 Aspencade Goldwing

Post by tim.mckee »

Don't care about color since the panel faces inward. I'd say, sell in a package of three to six. Always have extras. Package of three for maybe $10.00 plus shipping.

I am very interested in these.
Tim
michaelb

Post by michaelb »

rmctaggart55 wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:08 pm Do you have the Thingiverse ID for the part?
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3173909

First print was point-up, low density. It snapped on the first use.
Second print was laid-down on its side, 60% density. I've tugged several times and it's held steady so far.
michaelb

Post by michaelb »

tim.mckee wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:16 am Don't care about color since the panel faces inward. I'd say, sell in a package of three to six. Always have extras. Package of three for maybe $10.00 plus shipping.

Tim
I'll send you a private message.
Michael
rmctaggart55
Motorcycle: 2000 Gl1500SE

Post by rmctaggart55 »

michaelb wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:33 pm
rmctaggart55 wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:08 pm Do you have the Thingiverse ID for the part?
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3173909

First print was point-up, low density. It snapped on the first use.
Second print was laid-down on its side, 60% density. I've tugged several times and it's held steady so far.
Perfect! Heading to my printer now. Thanks for this.
brnfree
Motorcycle: 2005 Honda gl1800

Post by brnfree »

Don't care about color since the panel faces inward. I'd say, sell in a package of three to six. Always have extras. Package of three for maybe $10.00 plus shipping.

Tim

I agree with Tim. I would like the top and bottom pin to use on the battery cover that keeps flying off on my 2002 gl1800. I'm running out of ideas here and this is by far the best I've heard lately.

Mike
michaelb

Post by michaelb »

brnfree wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:07 pm Don't care about color since the panel faces inward. I'd say, sell in a package of three to six. Always have extras. Package of three for maybe $10.00 plus shipping.

Tim

I agree with Tim. I would like the top and bottom pin to use on the battery cover that keeps flying off on my 2002 gl1800. I'm running out of ideas here and this is by far the best I've heard lately.

Mike
Mike -- I'll send you a private message
Best,
Michael