front bearings

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Nlmman47
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Goldwing Aspencad

front bearings

Post by Nlmman47 »

I have 93 gl 1500, i am going to change the tire on the front and also put new bearings in just in case. question is is better to put the bearings in first the have the tire mounted and balance or does it realy matter. i know not a real big issue but just curious. and also should i forget getting it balance and put balancing beads in.

Swagonmaster
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500 SE

Re: front bearings

Post by Swagonmaster »

Best practice would be to install the new bearings before balancing but really unless the old bearings are total junk it won't matter. As far as beads or balance I'm going to have to say that either one will work. I prefer to balance myself but I'm old fashioned so take that with a grain of salt, there will be plenty of owners that swear by the beads.
Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!
Nlmman47
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Goldwing Aspencad

Post by Nlmman47 »

Im old fashion to.. but I'm changing bearings not real sure they need it but I'm am struggling with death wobble. So I figure I just changed them anyway. Then check steering bearings next
Swagonmaster
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500 SE

Post by Swagonmaster »

If that is the case, before you take the front wheel completely off while the axle is still tight, see if there is any play in the wheel. Tip it side to side and if there is even a little slack then the bearings are worn to the point that front end wobble is a real possibility. It happened to me and I came as close to wrecking the bike as I ever want to get and since bearings are cheap being industry standard parts there is no need to get the parts from Honda. While you have the front end up take the handle bars and try to rock them front and back there should not be any play at all. These tests are not completely definative since there is a lot more pressure put on the front end while driving but if you can feel any play at all you know there is a problem there. Routine maintaince is a good thing since you really can't tell if something is worn untill it is really bad and is causing an issue that could get you hurt or dead.

Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!