Rear brakes clicking

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Coloradians
Motorcycle: 2000 Honda Goldwing 1500 Trike

Rear brakes clicking

Post by Coloradians »

Hello. Super excited to be a member and have people to reach out to! I have ridden motorcycles for a long time but I am a first time owner of a 2000 Goldwing 1500 with trike conversion! But with knew ownership comes lack of knowledge. My question is, when I apply the rear brakes there is a clicking sound. The harder I apply the brakes, the louder the noise? Could that be brake pads telling me its time to change? Not sure if motorcycle pads do that. Happy to hear your thoughts.

Swagonmaster
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500 SE

Re: Rear brakes clicking

Post by Swagonmaster »

Do you have disc or drum brakes on the rear and has there been any work done on them recently?
Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!
Coloradians
Motorcycle: 2000 Honda Goldwing 1500 Trike

Post by Coloradians »

It has 1 disc to it. Although the disc is still feels smooth, I can see a line forming on the disc that will eventually eat into it. It was difficult to feel how much pad is left.
Attachments

Swagonmaster

Post by Swagonmaster »

Seeing where that groove is I'll bet that there is a rock stuck in the pad and is catching on one of the ventilation holes in the rotor. If you can turn the wheel slowly look for one of the holes that show signs of wear at the edge where the rock is catching in it. Pads won't click, they will squeek or squeal but not a repetious click.
Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!
Swagonmaster

Post by Swagonmaster »

Also, since the rock is almost surely at the top of the pad and right now it's being pushed down into the pad, try finding a decent hill that you can let the bike roll backwards without loosing control and hit the rear brake and see it that can dislodge whatever is causing the noise.