Start in gear/ cruise set correlation

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Golfr
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500A Aspencade

Start in gear/ cruise set correlation

Post by Golfr »

‘97 GL 1500 Motor Trike. My cruise set has been sporadic for AWHILE, Start in gear about the same time. If start in gear works right the cruise engages and holds. If Start in gear does not, Cruise set does not. Handlebar switches or other issue?
Thanx in advance.

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: Start in gear/ cruise set correlation

Post by Rambozo »

Might want to look at the clutch bushing. They can get a hole worn in them that would affect both clutch switches.
Have you tried pushing out on the clutch lever when setting the cruise? There are a pretty easy set of tests in the service manual to get the cruise working.
Golfr

Post by Golfr »

Have replaced all 3 handlebar switches. Replaced bushing at same time. If start in gear quits working, Cruise Set quits working. When start in gear is operational, cruise set if working. Is heat build-up in the handlebar switch a factor??
Rambozo
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

Ok. That answers some questions.
How often does it happen and how long does it last? If you have enough time to make some tests you should be able to track it down. Otherwise you might have to use a meter with data logging and go out riding with it to find the issue. I would expect a bad connector or damaged wiring. A latching continuity testing can help while you wiggle and shake wiring and connectors to help track down those annoying intermittent problems.
Start in gear and cruise are two different circuits and use separate switches. I don't have the wiring diagram handy at the moment to see if they have anything in common.

And of course my stock answer for you guys, "Too many wheels". :lol:
Seriously some trike add-on wiring can be pretty bad.
Golfr

Post by Golfr »

It would seem to me that all the wiring for these functions would be Honda and not trike. But that is just an old man’s theory. What is latching continuity?
Rambozo
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

The part I was thinking of was what they did with the side stand switch. This is more of a problem with the GL1800, but the 1500 has that switch as well to keep you from starting with sidestand down.
A latching continuity tester lets you test a wire while you have your hands free to move things around. You can set it to latch opens or shorts so when testing a suspect wire, you clip it on to each end, then move the wires around. If the circuit is ever broken, even for a millisecond, the tester will let you know with a tone or light etc. and it won't stop until you press a reset. Alarm installers use them all the time to find broken wires in rollup door coiled cables.
Golfr

Post by Golfr »

Thank you. Will give it a whirl.