Body parts swap '94 to '98+

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
blupupher
Motorcycle: 2002 Goldwing GL1800A

Body parts swap '94 to '98+

Post by blupupher »

So since my '94 has the dreaded 4th gear shift fork failure, I have been trying to decide what to do.

One of the options I have been debating is buying another 1500 ('97 or newer) that may have body damage but good mechanicals and swapping all the plastics from mine over to it.

I know till '97 it is pretty much 100% the same for body parts, but in '98 there were the changes to the headlight and headlight trim pieces.
Would all the painted plastics from my '94 swap directly over to a '98+ (either leaving the '98+ headlight or swapping my '94)?
Same for things like engine guards and rear crash guards, as far as I know, they are the same.

I came across what is advertised as a red '99 SE on Facebook with 42,000 miles for $3,000.
Seems to be OK mechanically (may go take a look Thursday), but has some serious external issues due to being left outside.
All black plastics are whitish due to uv exposure, all handle bar controls look terrible, all chrome is rusty, paint in pictures looks OK, seat is torn, and missing CB and radio antenna. Also needs new tires.
All of this stuff could be pulled from mine (as well as my new 95 amp alternator and front progressive suspension).
I am pretty sure it is a '96 or '97 though since it still has black face gauges, amber turn signals, and full engine guards with gold insert on the valve covers.
Waiting to hear back with a pic of the VIN tag.
If it is a '96, I will pass (I don't want to worry about the transmission any more), a '97, I will offer $2000, if a '99, maybe $2,250.

2002 Goldwing GL1800A
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: Body parts swap '94 to '98+

Post by Rambozo »

The 98+ also has a different seat and side covers. AFAIK as long as you swap the whole thing it's no problem. I know the newer headlight can go in the older faring as an upgrade. I'm not aware of any changes to the frame or mounting points. I had both seats for awhile and they both mounted fine. I had aftermarket side covers so I can't say how well mixed and matched ones would line up.
Getting a good doner bike sounds like a good way to fix your issues. You can mix and match the best parts and figure out what works best.
blupupher
Motorcycle: 2002 Goldwing GL1800A

Re: Body parts swap '94 to '98+

Post by blupupher »

Well, found out it is a '96.
I said for the condition it is in, $1500 is the max I would pay.
Facebook post

Told the guy the bike needs at least $1500 to even begin to ride it (tires, seat, battery, carbs cleaned air filter, all fluids changed) and that does not even begin to cover the cost to get the aesthetics corrected.
That fact that I have a bike that I could swap everything over a bonus for me (but I paid $3,500 for that), and even then it would be many, many hours of work to get them all swapped between bikes.
2002 Goldwing GL1800A