(SOLVED!) Rubber Piece Fell off of GL1500

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
cbibler
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE

(SOLVED!) Rubber Piece Fell off of GL1500

Post by cbibler »

I was riding the other day and I stared to notice a knocking sound. The sound began to get worse so I quickly slowed down and inspected my bike after stopping. I couldn't find anything out of the ordinary though. I decided to slowly ride home. Whenever I went above 40 the sound became pretty prevalent. Once I was home I put the bike on it's center stand and began to rev the bike. The sound came back and then I heard a smack. I looked back and a rubber piece (see pictures) had come off of the back somewhere and was shot out by the wheel.. You can imagine my relief when I saw that's all that it was. I looked around but was unable to find where it fell off. I was already late at this point and had to get ready to head out of town. I did some googling online, but couldn't find anything matching it. Does anyone know exactly where this goes? It could save me a lot of time from tearing the back apart to find out.

TL/DR: a rubber piece fell off of the back section of my bike and I'm unsure where it came from.
Attachments

Last edited by cbibler on Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blupupher
Motorcycle: 2002 Goldwing GL1800A

Re: Rubber Piece Fell off of GL1500

Post by blupupher »

Little "mud" flap that goes just above the swingarm.
It clips on the the front part of the rear "fender" and helps keep debris from being thrown up in that area below the gas tank and above the swingarm.

This is a view from just in front of the rear left shock mount

2002 Goldwing GL1800A
cbibler
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE

Re: Rubber Piece Fell off of GL1500

Post by cbibler »

Ahh I see! Thank you very much for the insight. I'll have to reattach it whenever I need to remove my rear wheel.