Seafoam?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Cewonz
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE

Seafoam?

Post by Cewonz »

Can I use seafoam to help clean carbs? 98 GL1500 SE. If I can.. how?

Thanks guys!

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE
2018 Ural Gearup

Re: Seafoam?

Post by Happytrails »

Yes you can just follow directions on can :)
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset
ncdave
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE

Post by ncdave »

it's good for maintaining your carbs in good condition, but it won't clear clogged ports. for that, you need to open them up with proper tools and then fluid passing through can help keep them clean.

BTW, I once saw some anecdotal testing of Seafoam vs Berryman's B12. the B12 did a better job at dissolving "gunk" from parts.
Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE
2018 Ural Gearup

Post by Happytrails »

Liking stabil 360 more than seafoams these days. Does the same things and more. Cleans much better :)
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset
Cewonz

Post by Cewonz »

Thank you guys. How often is it safe to use seafoam? I'm in NC. I'm gonna to continue to ride this winter ( if no icing or snow on the road) Also wanted to know how do I go about the start up in the cold mornings. My bike will be covered outside. Should I take out my battery and put it back when I ride. I do have a battery tender. Or do I just do the normal in the spring if I ride everyday?

Thanks
ncdave
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE

Post by ncdave »

I'm over near Charlotte. I ride all year. I just leave my bike on the tender during cold months to maintain the battery. I don't otherwise do any fuel treatments which are intended to help during "storage". When I've used the additives, I've used them for two consecutive tanks of fuel. I've never really held much faith in them being able to clean.
Cewonz

Post by Cewonz »

Thank You NC Dave! Wish I had a garage to keep it on the tender. Guess I'll just the battery out place it back when I'm gonna ride! Left Kannapolis few years ago. I'm over here in Wilson now.
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

You can get a small solar battery tender. They work pretty good.

After letting a bike sit for a while I tried the carb cleaner in the fuel. It eventually did get it clean enough to run good. However, it took at least ten tanks of fuel with cleaner to do the job. Next time I let that bike sit, I just went ahead and pulled the carbs and cleaned them on the bench. A couple of hours later I was good to go and running great. Way faster and probably better than the months it took of putting cleaner in the fuel to get it to idle smooth.