No power

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
ShannonFoster69
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500

No power

Post by ShannonFoster69 »

I accidentally grounded out my bike with the Chrome on my fuel fill cover as I had it hanging over the side working on putting in an accessory wire. I blew both 55Amp fuses. I used aluminum foil as a Band-Aid to get the bike to start and run me to the parts store. That worked then I was at the parts store and bought two inline fuses to put in like Scott had showed in the program with a 40 amp fuse. I installed the one on the side by the battery and my bike cranked up and rode me home just fine, then I got home took off the seat and changed the the other one under the seat and nothing, I mean nothing is happening when I turn the key I've chased everything down with a multimeter and a test light to the point that I'm so confused at what's going on. I even tried to go back to the aluminum foil since that worked before and now that doesn't even do anything. Does anybody have any ideas please? My multimeters saying the battery is 12.9 and I tested the wires everywhere that I could think of, I took the side panels off the fairing, sides off the center chasing wires.

Swagonmaster
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500 SE

Re: No power

Post by Swagonmaster »

Does anything on the bike still work or is it really that nothing at all comes on? It sounds like you have voltage showing on your meter somewhere but where? The 30amp fuse on the starter relay just in front of the battery would kill a lot of things but I don't think that it would take out everything on the bike at once. Give us some more details and we will scratch our collective heads.
Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: No power

Post by Rambozo »

You say you tested the wires everywhere and it's good at the battery. So where does it stop?
Where are you connecting the meter?
Remember you need both power and ground, so where you measure matters.