Solenoid replacement

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Bobwquinn
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL1500

Solenoid replacement

Post by Bobwquinn »

Is there a solenoid replacement topic on the GL1500 or another site as I cannot find it? Bob

Swagonmaster
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500 SE

Re: Solenoid replacement

Post by Swagonmaster »

Which solenoids are wanting to replace? Usually they are not difficult to replace just hard to find sometimes.
Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!
Bobwquinn

Post by Bobwquinn »

When I tried starting the bike the other day, nothing but clicking noises so it would be the starter relay solenoid! Hard to see but was wondering if there was any videos on removing.
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

It's always best to do some tests to locate the problem before just throwing parts at it to see what happens. There are two solenoids and they both need to be good for starting. A test light will let you know where the power stops and what has failed. Also be aware that many cheap aftermarket solenoids are not wired correctly for this bike. They will work but you have to do some mods. Or just buy the right parts from Honda.
Swagonmaster
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500 SE

Post by Swagonmaster »

And verify that you really have enough power in the battery and don't have any poor connections that would make a perfectly good relay look bad. Think of your car, the typical sound a discharged battery causes is just a click from the starter solenoid.
Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!
Bobwquinn

Post by Bobwquinn »

I did some more digging, low and behold- I had a bad battery! Going to buy a new one soon! :roll: