Gas coming from vent in venturi

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
JeffEbner
Motorcycle: 1993 GL 1500 SE

Gas coming from vent in venturi

Post by JeffEbner »

Does anyone know the cause of gas coming form this opening inside the venturi? It runs great when I first start the bike up, after about 20 seconds of it running, gas slowly comes out of this hole. Not a whole lot, but enough to see it. There is no gas coming out of the two hoses at the bottom of the bike, and the other carb is working good. I did recently rebuild these, spent a few days going over everything piece by piece, cleaning every orifice with cleaning solution and brushes and made sure the floats were sent to spec.
Attachments

Swagonmaster
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500 SE

Re: Gas coming from vent in venturi

Post by Swagonmaster »

Sounds like there is too much fuel in the float bowl. If the float is set correctly and the needle isn't sticking the float itself could be the problem if it has some fuel in it and has become heavier than it should be. I don't see a spec in the manual as to what the float should weigh so perhaps someone that has a carb apart can give us that, or just replace it .
Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!
JeffEbner
Motorcycle: 1993 GL 1500 SE

Re: Gas coming from vent in venturi

Post by JeffEbner »

I appreciate the advice. I did take the carbs off the bike, opened the fuel bowl and did see some small particles inside the bowl. Not sure how it got in there, but I cleaned it out, pulled the float and needle valve out, reassembled and it works great again. Must have had something small in the seat holding it open. Off to the races again!