gl 1500 Radio

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Nlmman47
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Goldwing Aspencad

gl 1500 Radio

Post by Nlmman47 »

is there a wire i can disable to keep it from going to mute on its own without sending it to get repair. i seen a few things on youtube but not sure of what one to do. if someone got a link to seen me to i would appriciate it. it is very annoying to tap on on radio to get it back off and sometimes that dont work.

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: gl 1500 Radio

Post by Rambozo »

Have you cleaned out the mute switch?

You can disconnect the switch, if it's the common switch problem. But if it's inside the radio, that won't help.
JHGoose
Motorcycle: 1985 Honda Gold Wing LE, 2000 Honda GL1500 SE

Post by JHGoose »

Your symptoms sounds like a problem I am currently working. The radio comes on muted or goes to mute on by itself. I have the problem troubeshot down to the 18 pin connector to the radio from the main wiring harness. If you wiggle this connector and the radio goes from mute to on and back to mute (effectively toggling by the connector moving) then you have isolated the problem. You will have to retighten or replace one or more of the connectors in the wiring harness side of the connector. Hope this helps.
Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Post by Charlie1Horse »

This sounds like the radio in my 92 Goldwing Interstate. It starts out most time on mute with very low volume and when on mute I can press the mute button and the volume gets even lower. This tells me that it must not be the mute switch. This is the non cassette radio. It may stay on mute all day or maybe return to normal in a few minutes. While on mute I cannot change the station or set the time. I sent it to Sierra Electronics about three years ago and paid $125.00 to replace one resistor. It worked well when reinstalled, for a while.Now I am thinking that I may have a bad connection in the connector on the radio. Recently I have started to hear an electrical whine in my Sena headset when I use turn signal or brakes. All lights on here have been changed to LEDs and I think maybe the noise reducer, (capacitor), might be defective. Just glad to know that I am not the only one with this problem.
Russell
Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Charlie1Horse wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:22 pm This sounds like the radio in my 92 Goldwing Interstate. It starts out most time on mute with very low volume and when on mute I can press the mute button and the volume gets even lower. This tells me that it must not be the mute switch. This is the non cassette radio. It may stay on mute all day or maybe return to normal in a few minutes. While on mute I cannot change the station or set the time. I sent it to Sierra Electronics about three years ago and paid $125.00 to replace one resistor. It worked well when reinstalled, for a while.Now I am thinking that I may have a bad connection in the connector on the radio. Recently I have started to hear an electrical whine in my Sena headset when I use turn signal or brakes. All lights on here have been changed to LEDs and I think maybe the noise reducer, (capacitor), might be defective. Just glad to know that I am not the only one with this problem.
Russell
You have a bad ground...somewhere.

Something has come ungrounded, or partially ungrounded. When you have a bad ground, the power will try to find a way to ground however it can. Through the dual-filament brake bulbs or turn signal bulbs is a common one. However, when you activate the brakes or turn signal, it applies +12V to those filaments, so the device with the bad ground can no longer use the bulb as its path to ground, and that's why you're hearing the noise.
joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Post by joeincalif »

I guess you checked the obvious, the MUTE setting

IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE