Petcock disfunction?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Jkjiv
Motorcycle: 1996 Goldwing SE 1500

Petcock disfunction?

Post by Jkjiv »

So, I was winterizing my 96' GL1500, following wingadmin's how-to and I pulled the vacuum line on the petcock for more than 5 minutes and it wouldn't run out of fuel. I kept the rpms up about 1500 while I was doing this and still never stalled out. It had mild symptoms of a vacuum leak all summer also (low gas mileage and a little hesitation). Does my petcock need rebuilt?

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
'80 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
'93 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
'83 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
'72 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
'78 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
'77 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Re: Petcock disfunction?

Post by DenverWinger »

Jkjiv wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:02 pm So, I was winterizing my 96' GL1500, following wingadmin's how-to and I pulled the vacuum line on the petcock for more than 5 minutes and it wouldn't run out of fuel. I kept the rpms up about 1500 while I was doing this and still never stalled out. It had mild symptoms of a vacuum leak all summer also (low gas mileage and a little hesitation). Does my petcock need rebuilt?
Sounds like a good fuel pump and a weak petcock. Couldn't hurt.

Having said that, you can still empty the carbs by pulling the seat, and disconnect the fuel pump power and let the bike run out of gas that way.

In my 45 years of bike ownership I've never found the need to go into "Bike Storage" mode, I do a lot of the maintenance described in "Winterizing" but the bikes are always ready for a start-up on short notice on a winter day. They might sit for a few weeks or a couple months between starts, but even in winter here I manage to use a quarter or half tank of fuel.... :)

Autumn is a good time for maintenance, but with a battery tender my bikes are ready to ride, even on a warmish day in the middle of January if they haven't been started in two months.....
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary numbers, and those that don't. :lol:

♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:
~Mark
Jkjiv

Post by Jkjiv »

Unfortunately I have a one stall garage and live in western PA, The wing gets the garage for the summer and my wife's car gets it for the winter and the wing is stored at my daughter's garage for now.
I guess I'll get the petcock kit over the winter and repair it in the spring. For now I put ethanol-free gas in the tank treated with marine stabil and seafoam and that's what's sitting in the carb too so I'll hope for the best.
Snowmoer
Motorcycle: 2012 GL 1800
1977 GL 1000
2012 KLR 650

Post by Snowmoer »

Just drain the carbs. There is a screw on the bottom of the bowl to drain them. The drain hose comes out of the bottom of the bike. You just need a long shaft Philips head. Look in the owners manual. I think it tells you were to access the screws from. I have not had my 1500 for a few years now and just to not remember where the access is.
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

Don't they have some pills for that?
ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by ct1500 »

Jkjiv wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:02 pm So, I was winterizing my 96' GL1500, following wingadmin's how-to and I pulled the vacuum line on the petcock for more than 5 minutes and it wouldn't run out of fuel. I kept the rpms up about 1500 while I was doing this and still never stalled out. It had mild symptoms of a vacuum leak all summer also (low gas mileage and a little hesitation). Does my petcock need rebuilt?
That is somewhat normal depending on spring tension and fuel pump pressure. There is a spring inside the petcock that forces it to close shutting off fuel supply. After the valve is open with vacuum when running, fuel pump pressure comes into play so when open fuel pressure keeps it open. With the vacuum hose off valve, shut down engine allowing valve to close. Restart with hose off and it will likely run the carbs dry. Pump pressure alone of 1.5psi will not force open the petcock.
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do
Jkjiv

Post by Jkjiv »

ct1500 wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:13 pm
That is somewhat normal depending on spring tension and fuel pump pressure. There is a spring inside the petcock that forces it to close shutting off fuel supply. After the valve is open with vacuum when running, fuel pump pressure comes into play so when open fuel pressure keeps it open. With the vacuum hose off valve, shut down engine allowing valve to close. Restart with hose off and it will likely run the carbs dry. Pump pressure alone of 1.5psi will not force open the petcock.
That totally makes sense, thanks!