Any adverse effect using reverse A LOT for a sidecar?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Quick Cal
Motorcycle: 1989 1500 Goldwing

Any adverse effect using reverse A LOT for a sidecar?

Post by Quick Cal »

I'm setting up a sidecar on my 1500. I have a single car garage and space will be VERY tight. I will have to either back it in or back it out let's call it 20'. My driveway has a very slight incline so it would be slightly less straining backing it out I think.

Does using reverse a lot hurt anything? Like putting a strain on the battery, or starter? Thanks.

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: Any adverse effect using reverse A LOT for a sidecar?

Post by Rambozo »

Or just put in a turntable like the batcave so you can drive in and out.

A few folks have been concerned about overusing reverse, but virtually all threads about reverse problems stems from lack of use not over use. There is an overcurrent safety to keep you from going up too steep a slope. As you mentioned, backing down the slope will reduce the workload.
Quick Cal
Motorcycle: 1989 1500 Goldwing

Post by Quick Cal »

Rambozo wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:36 am Or just put in a turntable like the batcave so you can drive in and out.

A few folks have been concerned about overusing reverse, but virtually all threads about reverse problems stems from lack of use not over use. There is an overcurrent safety to keep you from going up too steep a slope. As you mentioned, backing down the slope will reduce the workload.

You've got me actually thinking about how to build a turntable,,,,lol.

How is it over current protected? Does just a fuse blow? Or is there other things involved. I might need to know how to repair it in the very near future. ;)
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

There are a few things that control and protect the reverse system. A 65A speed limiter fuse under the seat, a starter relay regulator, a control unit, a current limiting resistor pack, along with a host of switches, sensors, and relays.
ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by ct1500 »

Quick Cal wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:50 am
How is it over current protected? Does just a fuse blow? Or is there other things involved. I might need to know how to repair it in the very near future. ;)
Using reverse takes about 80A to operate which will run the battery down a bit. So if you were to back into the garage and shut down, the battery has not had enough current to bring it back up to full charge of 12.6V. There the machine now sits at maybe 12.3V or so which is not good for the battery or extended parking when the battery is needed for a start. I would drive straight in and use reverse before your ride to give the battery time to recharge.

The reverse system monitors voltage at the starter motor and knows when to apply more or less voltage to the motor via the resistors. The 65A fuse is a ground path when an over speed condition is detected like backing down a hill. The starter motor in that situation will develop excess amperage much like an alternator and uses the ground path as an electrical brake of the motor shunting that current to ground slowing the machine down. :)
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

ct1500 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:29 pm
Quick Cal wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:50 am
Using reverse takes about 80A to operate which will run the battery down a bit. So if you were to back into the garage and shut down, the battery has not had enough current to bring it back up to full charge of 12.6V. There the machine now sits at maybe 12.3V or so which is not good for the battery or extended parking when the battery is needed for a start. I would drive straight in and use reverse before your ride to give the battery time to recharge.
Another option is to have a Battery Tender in your garage, so once you pull in, you plug in. That will top up the battery and keep it in good shape.