Mystery brake part

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
michaelb
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500A SE

Mystery brake part

Post by michaelb »

I just rebuilt my forks. I'm putting the calipers back on and realize I'm missing a part. Only I don't see it on any oem diagram. The caliper is held on by two cap screws. The lower one is smaller. It passes through a hole in the fork, and in this hole is a nylon (?) Tube and a steel mushroom tube spacer. Is there a name and or part number for this?

mlkmn89
Motorcycle: 1996 Honda Goldwing GL1500SE

Re: Mystery brake part

Post by mlkmn89 »

michaelb wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:06 pm I just rebuilt my forks. I'm putting the calipers back on and realize I'm missing a part. Only I don't see it on any oem diagram. The caliper is held on by two cap screws. The lower one is smaller. It passes through a hole in the fork, and in this hole is a nylon (?) Tube and a steel mushroom tube spacer. Is there a name and or part number for this?
I am not sure about what part you mean, but could part 35 & 43 be what you are looking for? Here is a link to what I am talking about. https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda ... front-fork
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

Sounds like maybe someone cobbled a replacement bushing. Maybe some photos would help.

michaelb

Post by michaelb »

This is on the lower bolt. The uppers look good. The bushing and part look too much like OEM and fit too well to be cobbled, especially given the state of the rest of the bike (previous owners were clearly none too bright or capable).

Lower caliper bolt-to-fork
Lower caliper bolt-to-fork

Bolt removed, caliper aside
Bolt removed, caliper aside

actual part
actual part

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

That is the anti-dive piston that the caliper screws into.

Anti-Dive mechanism
Anti-Dive mechanism

In the piston is a hole, and a nylon bushing goes into that hole. It is round on the outside (to fit into the hole in the piston) and oblong on the inside (to allow the pivot collar some free play):

Bushing inserted
Bushing inserted

The part number for the nylon bushing is 51545-MJ0-003

A metal pivot collar goes into the nylon bushing:

Collar inserted
Collar inserted

The part number for that pivot collar is 51423-MJ0-003
michaelb

Post by michaelb »

Spot-on, thanks!! I have the bushing, just not the pivot. You could spend a month's salary on little parts like this, they add up fast. Fortunately I think I have a guy that can make one.

On a related note, could you explain how the anti-dive mechanism works?
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

michaelb wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:13 pm Spot-on, thanks!! I have the bushing, just not the pivot. You could spend a month's salary on little parts like this, they add up fast. Fortunately I think I have a guy that can make one.

When you get on the brakes, the top caliper pin acts as a pivot, and the rotation of the brake rotor pulls the bottom caliper pin inwards towards the fork. This presses inwards on that piston. Inside the fork, when that piston is pressed inward, it restricts the valving on the fork, to create more resistance against compression. That keeps the front end of the bike from "diving" when you brake, yet leaves the forks soft and compliant when you are not braking.
michaelb

Post by michaelb »

WingAdmin wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:57 pm When you get on the brakes, the top caliper pin acts as a pivot, and the rotation of the brake rotor pulls the bottom caliper pin inwards towards the fork. This presses inwards on that piston. Inside the fork, when that piston is pressed inward, it restricts the valving on the fork, to create more resistance against compression. That keeps the front end of the bike from "diving" when you brake, yet leaves the forks soft and compliant when you are not braking.
TODAY I LEARNED! :D
4given
Motorcycle: 1996 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Post by 4given »

WingAdmin wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:57 pm
michaelb wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:13 pm Spot-on, thanks!! I have the bushing, just not the pivot. You could spend a month's salary on little parts like this, they add up fast. Fortunately I think I have a guy that can make one.

When you get on the brakes, the top caliper pin acts as a pivot, and the rotation of the brake rotor pulls the bottom caliper pin inwards towards the fork. This presses inwards on that piston. Inside the fork, when that piston is pressed inward, it restricts the valving on the fork, to create more resistance against compression. That keeps the front end of the bike from "diving" when you brake, yet leaves the forks soft and compliant when you are not braking.
Great explanation Scott. Nobody explains better. Even I can comprehend. 👌

“Fight the fight and do what is right“