96 ASP Wing - wiring and engine noise

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
84wing1200a
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Goldwing Aspencade

96 ASP Wing - wiring and engine noise

Post by 84wing1200a »

Recently got another bike, a 96 Gl1500 that has 98k miles. Does not run, PO stated it needed a starter.

Installed new battery and begun the dianostics of the bike. Got the starter to turn the motor over, however, there is a metallic rumble/clanking that happens while it turns over. Suspecting bad starter reduction gears or possible idle starter gear dont really know.

Shot ether through the breather and she would not pop off. removed the carbs and clearly can tell there is water immersion damage to include clumping wet oxidation powder in the intake runners. Shot ether throught the runners and she acts almost she wants to run. I know this is crude.

chief concern is addressing the viabiity of the engine. Carb def need to be rebuilt as well as intake removed and cleaned to include ensuring the intake ports are cleaned as well. Damage is concentrated to the left side (kick stand) side of the battery so it happen while sitting up.

Another note, there is plug connection within the right front pocket of the fairing that has some decent mice damage, would like to know if you guys would know what those plugs go to so i can address it and review the wiring schematics.

As i know more, i will share. thanks.

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: 96 ASP Wing - wiring and engine noise

Post by Rambozo »

Do a cylinder leakage test or at least a compression test to check the viability of the engine.
There is no factory wiring in that pocket. However, it is a common place for people to install add ons like phone chargers, music players, gps, heated gear stuff, and the like.
84wing1200a
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Goldwing Aspencade

Re: 96 ASP Wing - wiring and engine noise

Post by 84wing1200a »

Ok found some time to diagnose some more also took couple pics of the wiring I was talking about. Apparently the noise is about the starter idle gear and curious how easy it is to remove these intake see pics to reference.
Attachments