My Journey

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
michaelb
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500A SE

My Journey

Post by michaelb »

I put this in the Information & Questions section because it's technical in nature and I'm willing to share my experiences with anybody who asks.

Last night I replaced the timing belts because I noticed the left side cam cover was cracked and damaged.

I noticed the left side cam cover was cracked and damaged when I took off the right faring in search of the fork pinch bolt I dropped.

I took the pinch bolt out when I was trying to figure out if the forks were bent. While the forks were out I rebuilt them. They were not bent, but the tree was, so I replaced it.

I thought the forks were bent because when I replaced the front axle, the fork bridge still wouldn't go on right; only 3 bolts would align at one time.

I replaced the axle because it was bent. I had taken it out when I decided to replace the front wheel bearing. I was replacing the wheel bearing because I needed to clean the front forks and brakes.

I decided to clean the brakes and forks because while I was replacing the front brake pads dirt was falling everywhere.

I was replacing the front brake pads because I had just replaced the rear brake pads. Oh yeah, might as well replace the front brake rotors too.

I replaced the rear brake pads because I had removed the brake piston off the rear wheel to replace the rear tire, and thought, "why not? I'm bleeding the brake system anyway."

I was bleeding the rear brakes because I had just replaced the rear master cylinder. I replaced the rear master cylinder instead of rebuilding it because it was SUCH a bear to get out, I didn't want to take a chance that rebuilding the one I had would not work and I'd have to do it again. Once and done, as they say.

To get the rear master cylinder out I had to take apart some exhaust parts, so I replaced the exhaust studs and gaskets.

I knew when I bought the bike that the rear brakes were questionable, but if the bike started I was going to buy it.

The side panels each had one missing pin, so I researched how to fix. Ended up 3D printing pins in ABS and learning that acetone was a great solvent for fixing ABS.

The battery was flat but it started up on a jump box, so I got the new battery and the bike came home with me.

The bike came home with me after the second time I saw it. I had to see it twice because the first time I went to see it, the seller did not have the ability to load it into my truck like he claimed.

The first time I saw the bike I fell in love with it, and after driving 3 hours to see it, spent an hour trying to figure out a way to load it without adequate ramps. My F350 bed is 36" off the ground, and his little 4' ramp was not going to do the trick.

I drove three hours to see the bike after spending the summer comparing/contrasting the Triumph Thunderbird to the Goldwing series, just out of curiosity because I already own an 80's Honda CB650 and a Triumph Bonneville. Then one day an ad for a 1997 GL1500 popped up.

When I saw the ad I said to the wife, "I just did a thing..." She says "let's go!"

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
'80 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
'93 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
'83 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
'72 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
'78 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
'77 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Re: My Journey

Post by DenverWinger »

Motorcycles is one of the most expensive hobbies you could ever have.... Just sayin'.... :D

Happy Thanksgiving to ya, and glad you finally got the bike "Sorted Out" :)
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary numbers, and those that don't. :lol:

♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:
~Mark
Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Post by Andy Cote »

Great story. The real question is, how many 10mm sockets did you lose?
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas
michaelb
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500A SE

Post by michaelb »

Andy Cote wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:26 am Great story. The real question is, how many 10mm sockets did you lose?
Only the ones I threw!! Lol just kidding, none so far!
4given
Motorcycle: 1996 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Post by 4given »

michaelb wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:01 am
Andy Cote wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:26 am Great story. The real question is, how many 10mm sockets did you lose?
Only the ones I threw!! Lol just kidding, none so far!
I wish they sold a set of about a dozen 10mm sockets. 😏
“Fight the fight and do what is right“
Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Post by Andy Cote »

Ah Padawan, sockets we have.

https://www.amazon.com/KD-Tools-80319-M ... B00LH7DM14
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas
4given
Motorcycle: 1996 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Post by 4given »

Andy Cote wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:30 am Ah Padawan, sockets we have.

https://www.amazon.com/KD-Tools-80319-M ... B00LH7DM14
I knew there had to be a market for it!

“Fight the fight and do what is right“