Timing belt’s may have been changed already?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
GumbyGlide
Motorcycle: 1996 Gl1500

Timing belt’s may have been changed already?

Post by GumbyGlide »

I bought a 96 se a week ago with 91k and got an extensive binder with the service history and carefully went thru everything and never saw the timing belts being replaced. I decided since I was doing tires, brakes, oil, coolant, plugs, and final drive service just to know I may as well do the belts since it’s opened up.

I got the belts, plugs, coolant, and front brakes done in about 3.25 hrs so that was good and prayed a little and fired her up… puuuuurrrrrrffffeeccctt…

I have a question for some of you gurus that may help someone in my position. Can anyone tell if these belts were original or replaced at sometime by the markings on them?

Thank you for all the great info here to guide me on this adventure… Is it even more fun to ride these things???
Attachments

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
'80 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
'93 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
'83 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
'72 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
'78 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
'77 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Re: Timing belt’s may have been changed already?

Post by DenverWinger »

Since you have it apart that far I'd just put new belts on anyway, just on principle. I bought new belts in 2017 and a second set of belts for the 1100 last year.

Honda OEM belts were made by Gates, you can get new Gates T-275's at most auto part stores for around $40 ea. (what they said in 2017) (plus inflation), or about $17 ea. (plus inflation) from Amazon.com. Think I paid about $45 for the 1100 belts, shipped. All OEM made by Gates. Often but not always branded "Honda"

The markings suggest to me that those are not OEM and have been replaced, but why risk it? They could easily be 15 yrs old anyway.... I don't remember what the OEM belts on my 1500 were marked, but I don't think there was HONDA branding on them.
A local inventor has figured a way to turn a sausage grinder backward to manufacture pigs. :lol:

♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:
~Mark
Swagonmaster
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500 SE

Post by Swagonmaster »

Unfortunately, I would have to agree with DenverWinger on this one, unless you can be totally sure that the belts have been changed relatively recently it is a crap shoot that could really bite. Those belts seem to go forever without problems, until they don't, and there likely will not be any warning signs that they are at the verge of failure. If they come apart while you are away on a long ride (because why would they break in your garage?) and ruin the engine/leave you stranded you would kick yourself clear across the country. Those belts and your tires are the most mission critical items on the bike (ok, maybe oil as well) and you can't really afford to have them fail you.
Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!
GumbyGlide
Motorcycle: 1996 Gl1500

Post by GumbyGlide »

I did replace them with new belts from Honda. Paid $78 each but i didn’t mind the few extra bucks to get oem stuff for this mission critical part.
Jkjiv
Motorcycle: 1996 Goldwing SE 1500

Post by Jkjiv »

GumbyGlide wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:13 am I bought a 96 se a week ago with 91k and got an extensive binder with the service history and carefully went thru everything and never saw the timing belts being replaced. I decided since I was doing tires, brakes, oil, coolant, plugs, and final drive service just to know I may as well do the belts since it’s opened up.

I got the belts, plugs, coolant, and front brakes done in about 3.25 hrs so that was good and prayed a little and fired her up… puuuuurrrrrrffffeeccctt…

I have a question for some of you gurus that may help someone in my position. Can anyone tell if these belts were original or replaced at sometime by the markings on them?

Thank you for all the great info here to guide me on this adventure… Is it even more fun to ride these things???

Nice bike!! Love the color. My 96' SE...