Starting problem

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Bitontheside
Motorcycle: Year 2000 1500se Goldwing

Starting problem

Post by Bitontheside »

Bike is a 1500 SE year 2000 with a sidecar attached. Out a few weeks ago and got stuck in traffic. I could hear and feel a vibration and assumed it was a noisy fan. Next time I stopped the noise had gone. When I went to start again, ignition came on but the starter motor wasn't turning. Outfit was slightly downhill so I bump started it. Turns out the vibration was the starter motor happily spinning away until it burned itself out! The starter switch was stuck and sticks intermittently. Also the 'B' relay was burnt out (the one by your right foot). I replaced the starter motor and both A and B relays. Went to try and start it and all I get is a double click off the A relay. I have been waiting on a new starter switch which I now have but not yet fitted. Boy, are they expensive! Any suggestions as to what might be the problem other than the switch?

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: Starting problem

Post by Rambozo »

Pull out a meter or test light and start tracing.
bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

Be sure you are using the Honda starter relays. Some of the aftermarket ones do not work right in the Goldwings. I am guessing you are using the Honda starter relays since you commented on the price. Also, be sure the battery has a full charge. A weak battery will cause some strange clicking sounds from the relays.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

If relay A is clicking when you press the starter, then the switch is fine.

The starter switch energizes relay A, which in turn energizes relay B, which in turn energizes the starter.

There is an in-line 5 amp fuse between relay A and relay B. That should be the first thing you check. Also check that your reverse lever is fully down - if it is not all the way down, relay A can click but relay B will not energize.
Bitontheside

Post by Bitontheside »

I assume that the 5 amp in line fuse is the one attached to the A relay or is there another one lurking somewhere else?
Bitontheside

Post by Bitontheside »

Just to let you know. It was a faulty B relay ( the one under the right foot). I joined to HT leads together and it fired up straight away, Just waiting on a replacement relay. Thanks all.