The all dreaded windshield decision

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
wingthing88
Motorcycle: 1988 gl1500

The all dreaded windshield decision

Post by wingthing88 »

I need a new windshield and have been looking at the Slipstreamer tall and the Memphis Shades tall. What is the opinion of which is better and would a standard size be just as effective as the tall in eliminating buffet for the passenger? Also is there a noticeable difference in fuel milage? I currently have and old Barn Door (can't remember the brand) and it is a very distinct drop in mpg compared to the factory but I can't see out of the factory anymore due to a low hanging tree branch in a tight twisty (very glad I had a wind screen). HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE.

blupupher
Motorcycle: 2002 Goldwing GL1800A

Re: The all dreaded windshield decision

Post by blupupher »

Madstad was what I went with and was very happy with.
2002 Goldwing GL1800A
DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
'80 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
'93 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
'83 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
'72 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
'78 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
'77 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

My bike came with a Slipstreamer Tall on it (very definitely a "Barn Door") Deb and I like it due to very little buffeting but it is so tall that I have to stretch to see over it rather than thru it (a disadvantage in rain) and I'm a tall guy, 6' 6".

Thankfully it is in good shape and looking thru it is no issue.

It will cost you fuel economy, the faster you go the more MPG will drop.

Having said that I still average 36 MPG
A local inventor has figured a way to turn a sausage grinder backward to manufacture pigs. :lol:

♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:
~Mark
detdrbuzzard
Motorcycle: '11 bmw 1200gsa,'93se
'75750.'79750/9k
'79 750f
'06 st1300a

Post by detdrbuzzard »

blupupher wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:52 pm Madstad was what I went with and was very happy with.
if i can ride this year and decide to put a new windshield on my Wing it will be a Madstad
'99 ST1100, '93 se
'75 cb750k, '79 cb 750f, '79 cb750 superK
'99ST1100, sunL70
'06 ST1300a
.... william
Sadanorakman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE (Blue)
1991 GL1500 SE (Gold)

Post by Sadanorakman »

And this is the third vote for a Madstad, in just four replies!

Mine arrives in a couple of weeks, so I have no direct experience of it yet. I'm currently on the stock SE screen with stock vent. I'm hoping the Madstad will do three things;

1. Make it easier to look over the top. I'm 5' 8", with a shortish back, and I can only just look over the stock screen at its lowest. It's not comfortable to do so.

2. Reduce buffeting on my helmet. If I don't lift the stock screen to the top, the buffeting from 65mph upwards is just ridiculous, noisy, and fatiguing, like I'm being constantly hit around the head.

3. Reduce the buffeting for my back-seat driver.
blupupher

Post by blupupher »

Sadanorakman wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:59 pm And this is the third vote for a Madstad, in just four replies!

Mine arrives in a couple of weeks, so I have no direct experience of it yet. I'm currently on the stock SE screen with stock vent. I'm hoping the Madstad will do three things;

1. Make it easier to look over the top. I'm 5' 8", with a shortish back, and I can only just look over the stock screen at its lowest. It's not comfortable to do so.

2. Reduce buffeting on my helmet. If I don't lift the stock screen to the top, the buffeting from 65mph upwards is just ridiculous, noisy, and fatiguing, like I'm being constantly hit around the head.

3. Reduce the buffeting for my back-seat driver.
1. Yup

2. Yup

3. Probably
2002 Goldwing GL1800A
wingthing88

Post by wingthing88 »

I appreciate everyone’s reply about the Madstad windshield but that isn’t an option for me. It’s too costly and it looks like the wind would go under the upper part and be on the rider all the time plus I just can’t get past the look of it. I still need opinions on my original options negatives and positives. Thanks guys.
4given
Motorcycle: 1996 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Post by 4given »

I have 2 Slipstreamers. One has 5 inches cut off and used in hot weather. The other is full height and put on when the weather starts to get cold. I can’t look over the tall one but it keeps me warmer. Both have vents.This is a pic of the short one
Attachments

“Fight the fight and do what is right“
Sadanorakman
1991 GL1500 SE (Gold)

Post by Sadanorakman »

wingthing88 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:23 am I appreciate everyone’s reply about the Madstad windshield but that isn’t an option for me. It’s too costly and it looks like the wind would go under the upper part and be on the rider all the time plus I just can’t get past the look of it. I still need opinions on my original options negatives and positives. Thanks guys.
Ok,your budget is your budget.

With the Madstad, yes air purposely flows between the lower and upper screen by design: The whole idea is to create a smooth, linear, upwards flow of air, over the rider. This airflow is why the screen can be so short in comparison to more traditional types.
Mike D 1990 Goldwing
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500

Post by Mike D 1990 Goldwing »

I got a Taka Recurved windshield a few years ago and I love it. I'm short so looking over the windshield isn't really an option. The recurve is what the windshield does. The top of the shield curves slightly toward the front so it directs the air up and away from the top of your head if you are tall enough. The sides curve a little the same as the top of the shield. I don't remember the price, but I don't think it was real expensive. You can check them out at Long Ride Shields. I think I got mine at Wingstuff but I don't think they are selling them now. I don't have a picture of it, maybe I can take a picture and post it if you are interested.
Sadanorakman
1991 GL1500 SE (Gold)

Post by Sadanorakman »

Come to daddy! My Madstad arrived two days ago: Can't wait to fit it!

Solid ice here though, and roads are all salted, so no immediate rush to try and go riding. I don't want a rusty wing.
C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Post by C-dub »

wingthing88 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:23 am I appreciate everyone’s reply about the Madstad windshield but that isn’t an option for me. It’s too costly and it looks like the wind would go under the upper part and be on the rider all the time plus I just can’t get past the look of it. I still need opinions on my original options negatives and positives. Thanks guys.
I can certainly appreciate to budget constraints and concerns.

However, look at it long term. The upfront cost is higher, about double maybe, but look at the other factors.

1. Even though it looks like the air flow will be hitting the rider in the face, the Madstadt is designed to prevent this and is also adjustable by the user.
2. The gas mileage thing. Having a shield that could save you a few mpg's over the course of 5+ years could be huge and make up the difference or more.
3. During rain, you will be able to look over the a Madstadt instead of not through a taller shield that the visibility would be decreased to nill making it dangerous.
4. Other factors might be material. Acrylic vs plexiglass vs whatever and resistance to impacts or ease of cleaning with what type of cleaner. Are you going to spend $$ buying a special cleaner for one, while another can be cleaned with only mild soapy water?

It's still your choice and we'll all congratulate you on your new shield when you decide and get it installed. You may just not like the look of the Madstadt and like the look of those taller windscreens.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargeant Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
Patriot Guard Rider
kwthom
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800

Post by kwthom »

Another Madstad owner (on an 1800...) here, but I suppose I got *really* lucky in finding a used one. Seems the fellow bought a bike that had it on there, and he was like the OP in that he wasn't a fan of the appearance.

So, I managed to get it for a steal.

My suggestion for the OP would be to contact Madstad Engineering, simply to see if they might have a used setup (which, I hear they can have periodically...) that might be at a more competitive price that the other options.

Yeah, it does have that odd, laminar look, but darn it, it works. There's basically two settings that I use - one that's rain-based, one that's keeping the airflow mostly off my wife.

The day that we took a little short ride and I managed to get it adjusted, she said "so, this is what it feels like to sit in the front seat", as she rarely was able to stay completely out of the airflow with the OE shield. That thousand mile ride we did a couple of weeks later really sold her on the performance.

Of course, give consideration to just how long you'll be keeping your current bike.

Luck to ya!
Sadanorakman
1991 GL1500 SE (Gold)

Post by Sadanorakman »

Got my Madstad mounted today.

Can't say that I'm 100% thrilled: 80% maybe.

Firstly, the curve of the lower screen is a bit more pronounced than the bike's dash, and although the 5 OEM screen slider mountings went back in ok, the chrome trim above the headlight was then an absolute SOB to get back on again. The result is a gap of at least 1/4" between the screen and dash on the left and right due to difference in cross-section profile to the original screen.

Then came a ride: I firstly had the lower screen set at the bottom of its travel, and the upper screen (12" version), at the top limit of its travel, and parallel with the lower screen: this resulted in too much turbulence.

I then found it a bit better with the lower screen raised about 1" from bottom, and the upper screen still at its tallest setting, but set very almost as vertical as it would go.

It's also nice to be able to see over the screen much more than with the original, and I really like the medium grey tint I opted for.

There's a lot more wind with this screen than the oem at slower speeds (30 to 50 mph), but then less buffeting at higher speeds 60-80mph.
I'll take the bike to work and back on Wednesday to see if i can get it dialled in an bit more.

Might be nice to have some more airflow, as in milder weather I tend to overheat quite a bit, but today I found I had to close my visor to the cold flow of air that was biting my face and getting into my eyes behind my glasses, whereas with the OEM, I mainly rode with my visor completely open all the time (full face helmet).
wingthing88

Post by wingthing88 »

That’s the information I need. Please keep me posted on your progress. Thank you.
Sadanorakman
1991 GL1500 SE (Gold)

Post by Sadanorakman »

wingthing88 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:10 pm That’s the information I need. Please keep me posted on your progress. Thank you.
I've slept on the matter, and can now think a little more objectively.

Seeing as the screen sits maybe 4" or so below my eye-level, of course there will be direct airflow over the top into my face, until the speed of the oncoming air is sufficient for the aerodynamic effect of the two screens to channel the airflow up and over my head.

I think this is unavoidable, but also probably what I want, as I spend much of the year too hot in my riding gear, even with jacket vents open. It was just a suprise to get last-night's chilly air into my eyes, because of course I have not been used to that! it definitely did it's job at 70 MPH where the OEM screen caused massive buffeting of my helmet.

I wasn't very impressed with the fitment though, and I'm still not very comfortable with that: The profile of the lower screen simply does not match that of the dash, and caused tension-stress in the screen, and a real nightmare to fit the chrome trim back on. The screws at each end were quite a distance from aligning. If it didn't cost me so much money, i'd be tempted to take a heat gun to it! Maybe I just got a bad one. I will pass my query on to the supplier and see what they have to say about it. see my diagram below:

wingthing88

Post by wingthing88 »

I typically ride year round and prefer not to look over the windscreen although it would be nice in the rain. This was one of the reasons the taller one piece screen seemed better to me. As for hot weather my summer gear is mesh pants and jacket with moisture wicking underneath.
blupupher

Post by blupupher »

Sadanorakman wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:24 am
wingthing88 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:10 pm That’s the information I need. Please keep me posted on your progress. Thank you.
I've slept on the matter, and can now think a little more objectively.

Seeing as the screen sits maybe 4" or so below my eye-level, of course there will be direct airflow over the top into my face, until the speed of the oncoming air is sufficient for the aerodynamic effect of the two screens to channel the airflow up and over my head.

I think this is unavoidable, but also probably what I want, as I spend much of the year too hot in my riding gear, even with jacket vents open. It was just a suprise to get last-night's chilly air into my eyes, because of course I have not been used to that! it definitely did it's job at 70 MPH where the OEM screen caused massive buffeting of my helmet.

I wasn't very impressed with the fitment though, and I'm still not very comfortable with that: The profile of the lower screen simply does not match that of the dash, and caused tension-stress in the screen, and a real nightmare to fit the chrome trim back on. The screws at each end were quite a distance from aligning. If it didn't cost me so much money, i'd be tempted to take a heat gun to it! Maybe I just got a bad one. I will pass my query on to the supplier and see what they have to say about it. see my diagram below:

madstad fitting.png
I don't remember having any issues with my lower shield fitting correctly. I would contact them for sure and see what could be done.
2002 Goldwing GL1800A
Sadanorakman
1991 GL1500 SE (Gold)

Post by Sadanorakman »

blupupher wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:20 pm I don't remember having any issues with my lower shield fitting correctly. I would contact them for sure and see what could be done.
OK, so let me set the record straight!!!

I had fitted the Madstad under failing light, and used a small LED work lamp to finish the job. I have today taken the screen back off in good daylight, and now more fully understand my issue. I have requested Wing Admin deletes my previous post, as I don't wish to mislead anyone. Particularly with my included diagram!

• 1. Yes the Madstad lower screen is a little tighter radiused when compared to the OEM screen, and it had to flex when fitted, but this is not what was causing my issues!
  • 2. where I was seeing a 1/4" gap, today I notice IS BY HONDA's DESIGN! There is a shallow scallop out of each side of the dash, to allow airflow to come up the back of the screen: I must have simply never noticed that before with the OEM screen.

Rubber dash-mat after screen is removed, showing one of the scallops:

• 3. Yes the Chrome trim was a complete and utter S.O.B. to fit back on, but I believe this is because the Madstad lower screen is so much thicker than the OEM screen it replaces. The chrome trim has TEN fluted rubber blocks built in to trap the screen against the rubber dashboard mat. These rubber blocks are 20 years old, and its also 3 degrees outside, so they are pretty inflexible right now.

The lower 5 sliding clamps would between them normally clamp this thicker Madstad down tightly, but I think I can get around that: The two outer ones are deeper, and don't trap the Madstad; the three middle ones if fitted with a relief washer, should allow the Madstad to slide up and down still, as long as there is room where the rubber blocks are fitted on the back of the chrome trim. I figure therefore if I sand these 10 rubber blocks down by a good 1mm to start with, maybe more I might be able to get the sliding adjustment back, and find it much easier to refit the two chrome trim screws (under the mirror trims).

Now, how to trim those 10 rubber blocks: Do I try a sander, or do I try to slice the flutes off with a sharp knife?