The all dreaded windshield decision

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
wingthing88
Motorcycle: 1988 gl1500

The all dreaded windshield decision

Post by wingthing88 »

I need a new windshield and have been looking at the Slipstreamer tall and the Memphis Shades tall. What is the opinion of which is better and would a standard size be just as effective as the tall in eliminating buffet for the passenger? Also is there a noticeable difference in fuel milage? I currently have and old Barn Door (can't remember the brand) and it is a very distinct drop in mpg compared to the factory but I can't see out of the factory anymore due to a low hanging tree branch in a tight twisty (very glad I had a wind screen). HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE.

blupupher
Motorcycle: 2002 Goldwing GL1800A

Re: The all dreaded windshield decision

Post by blupupher »

Madstad was what I went with and was very happy with.
2002 Goldwing GL1800A
DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
'80 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
'93 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
'83 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
'72 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
'78 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
'77 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

My bike came with a Slipstreamer Tall on it (very definitely a "Barn Door") Deb and I like it due to very little buffeting but it is so tall that I have to stretch to see over it rather than thru it (a disadvantage in rain) and I'm a tall guy, 6' 6".

Thankfully it is in good shape and looking thru it is no issue.

It will cost you fuel economy, the faster you go the more MPG will drop.

Having said that I still average 36 MPG
A local inventor has figured a way to turn a sausage grinder backward to manufacture pigs. :lol:

♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:
~Mark
detdrbuzzard
Motorcycle: '11 bmw 1200gsa,'93se
'75750.'79750/9k
'79 750f
'06 st1300a

Post by detdrbuzzard »

blupupher wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:52 pm Madstad was what I went with and was very happy with.
if i can ride this year and decide to put a new windshield on my Wing it will be a Madstad
'99 ST1100, '93 se
'75 cb750k, '79 cb 750f, '79 cb750 superK
'99ST1100, sunL70
'06 ST1300a
.... william
Sadanorakman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE (Blue)
1991 GL1500 SE (Gold)

Post by Sadanorakman »

And this is the third vote for a Madstad, in just four replies!

Mine arrives in a couple of weeks, so I have no direct experience of it yet. I'm currently on the stock SE screen with stock vent. I'm hoping the Madstad will do three things;

1. Make it easier to look over the top. I'm 5' 8", with a shortish back, and I can only just look over the stock screen at its lowest. It's not comfortable to do so.

2. Reduce buffeting on my helmet. If I don't lift the stock screen to the top, the buffeting from 65mph upwards is just ridiculous, noisy, and fatiguing, like I'm being constantly hit around the head.

3. Reduce the buffeting for my back-seat driver.
blupupher
Motorcycle: 2002 Goldwing GL1800A

Post by blupupher »

Sadanorakman wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:59 pm And this is the third vote for a Madstad, in just four replies!

Mine arrives in a couple of weeks, so I have no direct experience of it yet. I'm currently on the stock SE screen with stock vent. I'm hoping the Madstad will do three things;

1. Make it easier to look over the top. I'm 5' 8", with a shortish back, and I can only just look over the stock screen at its lowest. It's not comfortable to do so.

2. Reduce buffeting on my helmet. If I don't lift the stock screen to the top, the buffeting from 65mph upwards is just ridiculous, noisy, and fatiguing, like I'm being constantly hit around the head.

3. Reduce the buffeting for my back-seat driver.
1. Yup

2. Yup

3. Probably
2002 Goldwing GL1800A
wingthing88
Motorcycle: 1988 gl1500

Post by wingthing88 »

I appreciate everyone’s reply about the Madstad windshield but that isn’t an option for me. It’s too costly and it looks like the wind would go under the upper part and be on the rider all the time plus I just can’t get past the look of it. I still need opinions on my original options negatives and positives. Thanks guys.
4given
Motorcycle: 1996 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Post by 4given »

I have 2 Slipstreamers. One has 5 inches cut off and used in hot weather. The other is full height and put on when the weather starts to get cold. I can’t look over the tall one but it keeps me warmer. Both have vents.This is a pic of the short one
Attachments

“Fight the fight and do what is right“
Sadanorakman
1991 GL1500 SE (Gold)

Post by Sadanorakman »

wingthing88 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:23 am I appreciate everyone’s reply about the Madstad windshield but that isn’t an option for me. It’s too costly and it looks like the wind would go under the upper part and be on the rider all the time plus I just can’t get past the look of it. I still need opinions on my original options negatives and positives. Thanks guys.
Ok,your budget is your budget.

With the Madstad, yes air purposely flows between the lower and upper screen by design: The whole idea is to create a smooth, linear, upwards flow of air, over the rider. This airflow is why the screen can be so short in comparison to more traditional types.
Mike D 1990 Goldwing
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500

Post by Mike D 1990 Goldwing »

I got a Taka Recurved windshield a few years ago and I love it. I'm short so looking over the windshield isn't really an option. The recurve is what the windshield does. The top of the shield curves slightly toward the front so it directs the air up and away from the top of your head if you are tall enough. The sides curve a little the same as the top of the shield. I don't remember the price, but I don't think it was real expensive. You can check them out at Long Ride Shields. I think I got mine at Wingstuff but I don't think they are selling them now. I don't have a picture of it, maybe I can take a picture and post it if you are interested.
Sadanorakman
1991 GL1500 SE (Gold)

Post by Sadanorakman »

Come to daddy! My Madstad arrived two days ago: Can't wait to fit it!

Solid ice here though, and roads are all salted, so no immediate rush to try and go riding. I don't want a rusty wing.
C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Post by C-dub »

wingthing88 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:23 am I appreciate everyone’s reply about the Madstad windshield but that isn’t an option for me. It’s too costly and it looks like the wind would go under the upper part and be on the rider all the time plus I just can’t get past the look of it. I still need opinions on my original options negatives and positives. Thanks guys.
I can certainly appreciate to budget constraints and concerns.

However, look at it long term. The upfront cost is higher, about double maybe, but look at the other factors.

1. Even though it looks like the air flow will be hitting the rider in the face, the Madstadt is designed to prevent this and is also adjustable by the user.
2. The gas mileage thing. Having a shield that could save you a few mpg's over the course of 5+ years could be huge and make up the difference or more.
3. During rain, you will be able to look over the a Madstadt instead of not through a taller shield that the visibility would be decreased to nill making it dangerous.
4. Other factors might be material. Acrylic vs plexiglass vs whatever and resistance to impacts or ease of cleaning with what type of cleaner. Are you going to spend $$ buying a special cleaner for one, while another can be cleaned with only mild soapy water?

It's still your choice and we'll all congratulate you on your new shield when you decide and get it installed. You may just not like the look of the Madstadt and like the look of those taller windscreens.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargeant Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
Patriot Guard Rider
kwthom
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800

Post by kwthom »

Another Madstad owner (on an 1800...) here, but I suppose I got *really* lucky in finding a used one. Seems the fellow bought a bike that had it on there, and he was like the OP in that he wasn't a fan of the appearance.

So, I managed to get it for a steal.

My suggestion for the OP would be to contact Madstad Engineering, simply to see if they might have a used setup (which, I hear they can have periodically...) that might be at a more competitive price that the other options.

Yeah, it does have that odd, laminar look, but darn it, it works. There's basically two settings that I use - one that's rain-based, one that's keeping the airflow mostly off my wife.

The day that we took a little short ride and I managed to get it adjusted, she said "so, this is what it feels like to sit in the front seat", as she rarely was able to stay completely out of the airflow with the OE shield. That thousand mile ride we did a couple of weeks later really sold her on the performance.

Of course, give consideration to just how long you'll be keeping your current bike.

Luck to ya!