Problem with excessive oil in air box

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
chrisfromtexas
Motorcycle: 1998 GL 1500C Valkyrie
2017 Indian Roadmaster
2016 Indian Scout
2018 Indian Springfield Darkhorse
1997 Yamaha XV 535

Problem with excessive oil in air box

Post by chrisfromtexas »

Long time reader, first time to post. Have not seen another discussion with similar problem. Hoping someone can help. I purchased a 98 Valkyrie back in the summer. Had been sitting for about six years in a garage with no real visible issues, he had done most of the normal storage maintenence before covering it up . Nothing I've run into thus far to indicate any major issues. We did the normal getting it back on the road maintenence items ... changed all fluids and filters, timing belts, plugs, cleaned carbs, etc.. It ran well for about 4000 miles. Started with about 24,500 miles.

Out of the blue while my son was riding home from a short ride, he saw gray smoke from the exhaust. Not a small amount. After running through some possibilities, I discovered the air box was full of oil. I found the drain tube for it and drained it out . Ran it again for a short time, down the road and back. Same problem again. Air box full of oil. Checked pcv ports for clogs. While I was in them, I did some cleanup and checked the reed valves in the boxes connected to valve side ports. Checked for air pressure at oil fill, little to none at idle or about 1/4 throttle. Tried a compression check just to see, average 165, 1 high at 170, 1 low at 160. So I have my doubts that it's blowing oil into airbox. Rechecked air filter and box for clogs or other issues, nothing.

Just a side note that at the same time this happened, the clutch started not fully disengaging. The lever doesn't go all the way to the grip and is trying to pull with engine running and in gear. Put a rebuild kit, both slave and master cylinder. Same problem still. Don't believe the problems are connected just interesting that it happened at the same time and haven't found the fix to either yet.

Thank you in advance and any help is appreciated.

Swagonmaster
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500 SE

Re: Problem with excessive oil in air box

Post by Swagonmaster »

Pumping oil up in the air box is never alright, the crankcase will need to vent blowby gasses but not enough to carry a lot of oil with it. Pull the oil dipstick with the engine running and see how much in the way of blowby gasses are coming out of the crankcase. If you have a lot of air blowing out then I would be worried about ring seal or even piston damage but that is just very unlikely. Overfilling the crankcase is more likely.
Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!
chrisfromtexas
2017 Indian Roadmaster
2016 Indian Scout
1997 Yamaha XV 535

Post by chrisfromtexas »

Appreciate your reply. I was beginning to think I was going come up dry here. Lol I'll take some time to update. I did a cylinder leakdown test and it's showing minimal blowby. At the dipstick or oil fill, with it idling, I'm not feeling anything. At 2500 to 3000 rpm, a little bit of air. I pulled the vent tube at top rear of engine just before vent tank and at idle could feel some movement but at 3000 rpm after a few seconds it burped up a good bit of oil. Not like spraying out but a wad at one time. Like maybe a reservoir under the vent stopping air movement and then blowing through the clog if that makes sense. Thought about overfilling as well, but according to dipstick and going by the manual for checking level, was on the money. Looked at some parts breakdowns of the rear case cover and clutch cover. There does appear to be a " box" under the vent opening where oil might collect, but I have not opened up the clutch cover to see how it drains out. The drawings aren't clear enough to see the detail. The only other thing I can think of is maybe one or more exhaust valve stems worn enough or damaged to cause blow by there into the oil gallery causing a pulsed blow. I don't really think so. I checked the valve clearances and did a quick visual inspection before the leak down test and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. Plus the engine runs very smooth and no unusual noises. So wth! Like I said in the first post, this didn't come on gradual, it was all of a sudden. Son was riding with no problems and then smoke and a bunch of it. Thanks again and still looking for answers.
Swagonmaster

Post by Swagonmaster »

Ok, with minimal cyl leakage/blowby that's out. If you haven't already you might post the question in the gl1800 section since they would have the most familiarity with the differences from our gl1500s.
Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!
chrisfromtexas
2017 Indian Roadmaster
2016 Indian Scout
1997 Yamaha XV 535

Post by chrisfromtexas »

This is a 98 gl1500c valkyrie. On a hunch after typing my first response I tried blowing some compressed air back through the top vent allowing a few seconds for it to build a little pressure in the engine and then released letting blow back out. Did this several times then opened oil fill and blew through the top vent for a several seconds to clear any debris from drain holes in those spots below top vent. Warmed the engine up and then ran up to 3500 rpm for maybe two minutes and no oil blow. Reconnected vent tube on top and retried run up with similar results. So it looks like there was something blocking a drain hole. Haven't tried it on the road yet ,but it's looking better.
Need to open the slave cylinder on the clutch to see if the piston might be sticking before I take it out again.
Swagonmaster

Post by Swagonmaster »

That's right, you did say it's a Valkyrie, duh. Yes, too much oil or a stopped up vent would be the likely problems but I didn't think it could burp oil and not relieve the gas pressure. However, success is a good thing, if it works go with it and enjoy the ride. Never ridden a Valkyrie but I understand it's a rocket ship.
chrisfromtexas
2017 Indian Roadmaster
2016 Indian Scout
1997 Yamaha XV 535

Post by chrisfromtexas »

Burp was a bad analogy. Blowing through a snotty nose would be closer. We have been enjoying the Valkyrie. Issues with older bikes happen and we work through them. Thanks for helping me work this one.
Swagonmaster

Post by Swagonmaster »

Since my bike is a 1990 with 149K on it I understand.
chrisfromtexas
2017 Indian Roadmaster
2016 Indian Scout
1997 Yamaha XV 535

Post by chrisfromtexas »

Update: After about 100 miles of riding at different speeds and lengths of time it seems the oil problem is gone . Some little piece of debris blocking an oil drain port .
Keep the shiny side up friends.
gregg.nilson
Motorcycle: 1999 Honda Valkyrie

Post by gregg.nilson »

Glad to hear your problem is fixed! I have a 1999 Valkyrie interstate with 125,000 km on it. I will have to keep this in the memory bank.