Cuts out over bumps

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Ffmedic166
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

Cuts out over bumps

Post by Ffmedic166 »

If possible I would like input.

My 94 gl1500 se since I’ve got it running with push button and running down the road since I bought it from Florida and drove back to Texas.

It’s now cutting out over bumps. I hit a decent bump and it’s momentarily cuts out (like no spark), has electrical power though. It cuts out and starts back up with a pop and black smoke blows out.

I’ve looked at plugs, right bank has all normal looking running plugs but the left bank all black and sooty. I’ve pulled the carb and looked at the carbs. (Told right before buying bike carbs had been rebuilt.) Both carbs look very clean and jets are not plugged. Now ever since I’ve had the bike which is four months approx it’s always ran rich. Where do I look now? I am at a loss besides throwing another carb kit on them.

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Re: Cuts out over bumps

Post by Charlie1Horse »

Sounds like what my 92 Interstate did shortly after I bought it. I hit a slight bump going onto a bridge and it quit and would not start back up. I found that years and miles of vibration at the handlebar caused the connections under the kill switch had become loose. I removed the switch and tightened the screw connectors, and never had that problem again.

The Bank Angle Sensor had a recall I think from 88 - 93 where the damping fluid would leak out and then slight bumps would set it off and then you would have to cycle the ignition off and on to restart. I don't know if 94 is included. Ask your local dealer if yours is covered and, if it is, give them the VIN to verify the recall has been done. If it is covered and has not been done, they can order a new replacement and change it for free as this recall is still active if the bike is still 'On The Road'.

Try spraying some electronic cleaner in the kill switch and work it on and off a few times to maybe clean the contacts as it could cause a similar problem.
Russell
Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.
Ffmedic166

Post by Ffmedic166 »

I’ve cleaned and sprayed the switches…still done it. I removed and even banged on the BAS and bike stays running.

Just got done replacing the fuel tank (that was a pita) and have found so much more wrong with this bike. All the nuts loose and even some missing on the both header manifolds. The slave cylinder is trashed, and the sub and cruise filters are devoid of filters. I’m spending way to much money on this bike lol.
Charlie1Horse wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:31 pm Sounds like what my 92 Interstate did shortly after I bought it. I hit a slight bump going onto a bridge and it quit and would not start back up. I found that years and miles of vibration at the handlebar caused the connections under the kill switch had become loose. I removed the switch and tightened the screw connectors, and never had that problem again.

The Bank Angle Sensor had a recall I think from 88 - 93 where the damping fluid would leak out and then slight bumps would set it off and then you would have to cycle the ignition off and on to restart. I don't know if 94 is included. Ask your local dealer if yours is covered and, if it is, give them the VIN to verify the recall has been done. If it is covered and has not been done, they can order a new replacement and change it for free as this recall is still active if the bike is still 'On The Road'.

Try spraying some electronic cleaner in the kill switch and work it on and off a few times to maybe clean the contacts as it could cause a similar problem.
Russell
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

The bank angle switch can cause this, but when it cuts out, you have to cycle the ignition to get it to come back on. You said yours comes right back with a pop of smoke (unburned fuel in the exhaust) so it sounds like your ignition is cutting out momentarily.

When this happens, do your lights flicker at the same time?

How old is your battery?
Ffmedic166

Post by Ffmedic166 »

You’re dead on the money about the ignition goes out. No flicker of lights that I have noticed. I did notice that I forgot to put the mounting bolts back on the dash cluster so it was bumping around and cuts out the lcd (but that started happening right before I parked it to just tear into everything).

The battery came with bike (lead acid), and just recently think lost a cell. Have it on charger, which is fully charged and reads good battery. I don’t know might swap out for a month old one that I have.

Past two weeks I’ve replaced fuel tank, made new cruise and sub filters, replaced and tightened exhaust nuts on header, and have removed carbs. Today found after third time looking at them one slide diagram has couple breaks in the rubber. (Saber has one for 25$, but not sure if they are worth it), also have coming a replacement fuel pump, and carb rebuild kit with jets from randakks. This bike was very poorly neglected and cobbled.

Just completed removing and cleaning the slave cylinder…it was nasty. Hopefully it was work better.
Ffmedic166

Post by Ffmedic166 »

Here are some progress pics…they are not in order.
Attachments

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Wow, that clutch slave is in bad shape. Hopefully none of that got into the crankcase, as it can do severe damage to the main bearings if it does.
Ffmedic166

Post by Ffmedic166 »

Don’t think it has hopefully.
WingAdmin wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:10 pm Wow, that clutch slave is in bad shape. Hopefully none of that got into the crankcase, as it can do severe damage to the main bearings if it does.
Ffmedic166

Post by Ffmedic166 »

Well time will tell but I tighten the screws in the kill switch they were just tad loose. 🤞
Charlie1Horse wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:31 pm Sounds like what my 92 Interstate did shortly after I bought it. I hit a slight bump going onto a bridge and it quit and would not start back up. I found that years and miles of vibration at the handlebar caused the connections under the kill switch had become loose. I removed the switch and tightened the screw connectors, and never had that problem again.

Russell