How to Value a Non Running Bike

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
StrongEagle
Motorcycle: 1998 pearl beige Goldwing SE (current)
1998 jade and black Valkyrie Tourer (Singapore)
2000 blue and silver Valkyrie Interstate (Houston)
1998 maroon and creme Valkyrie Tourer (killed in a wreck)

How to Value a Non Running Bike

Post by StrongEagle »

I've got a 98 wing with 83,000 miles on it. Body condition is average to good with no cracks but missing badges. Good tires. But it doesn't run.

It has been sitting up for two years. During that time, it was twice started with difficulty but would not sufficiently run to power the bike for riding. The carburetors need to be rebuilt. Additionally, while you've taken off the panels, the driveshaft U-joint ought to be be replaced, and some dash warning lights have burned out. Prior to going offline, the bike ran well and was used periodically as a freeway commuter bike.

I am thinking of selling "as is'" into my local community but wonder how to set the asking price. Or, should I repair and sell? Will the increase in value cover the costs? Thanks!

Megreenusmc1969
Motorcycle: 1991 GL 1500A with CSC Trike Kit

Re: How to Value a Non Running Bike

Post by Megreenusmc1969 »

Hey StrongEagle,

I know that the experts will chime in soon. I grew up in Houston, and still have friends that flip cars down in Texas. If you look it up on www.kbb.com, it says that if it is running it is worth about $3600 on trade in. With them running, I see a lot of people asking $5,000 for a 1998 Wing, but with it not running, no badges, etc I would not expect you to get more than a few hundred, I even saw one non running trying to get $900 and it looked complete. As you know, anything Goldwing is going to be a little costly and with todays economy I do not know if you would make your money back. But you never know, if you post that it has a clear title and provide pictures that show how good the condition is you might get lucky. I do see quite a few selling parts if that is an option for you, but that could take years to sell it all off.

Good Luck,
blupupher
Motorcycle: 2002 Goldwing GL1800A

Post by blupupher »

Me personally, I would never pay more than $1000 for a non running 1500, and for that price would need to be in otherwise really good condition.

Can you price it higher, sure, and you may find a buyer for it. I know when I was looking for replacement 1500's (was looking for a bike in decent mechanical shape but rough exterior since I needed a new motor), nobody was selling anything for less than $2500, even non-running ones. And they sold.
I don't know the final price, but several turned down what I felt was a reasonable offer for what they had.

It all depends on how badly/quickly you want to sell it.
Start at $3000 and take the first offer of $1500, or hold out for more.
Getting it running and cleaned up will definitely get you more for it, but how much will that cost?
Truthfully a good wash and exterior detail will help with the sale price a lot. Seeing a non-running bike covered in dust just turns buyers off, but if the bike looks decent, it may help sway them even thought it is not running.
2002 Goldwing GL1800A
diecast collector
Motorcycle: 2006 Honda Gold Wing level 2

Post by diecast collector »

Of coarse spending the money to get bike in good riding shape will make it easier to sell for amount you wanI. I`m affraid I would consider any bike I can not ride home, or at least listen to run, just a parts bike. Hard to justify spending more to fix a bike up than it would bring on the market. I have given away a pretty red `98 S.E. just because cost of repairs were more than bike was worth. (235,000 miles, numerous repairs needed. Not wrecked.)........dishonest types could have turned speedometor back to 50K miles, fixed up a little, and sold it for $5,000. Not me.
diecastcollector
StrongEagle
Motorcycle: 1998 pearl beige Goldwing SE (current)
1998 jade and black Valkyrie Tourer (Singapore)
2000 blue and silver Valkyrie Interstate (Houston)
1998 maroon and creme Valkyrie Tourer (killed in a wreck)

Post by StrongEagle »

Thank you, all. I see that I can either spend the time, effort, and money to fix the thing myself (or with the help of a mechanic) and realize a decent sales price, or I can fire sale it as is.