GL 1500 Valkyrie Throttle

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
604Bonanza
Motorcycle: I don't know the year but believe it is a GL 1500 Honda Valkyrie

Post by 604Bonanza »

I am very new to this but bought an old GL1500 Valkyrie (Date of manufacture is not known so I have attached a pic to help) which has 6 carbs and the throttle was sticking so I loosened it to add some lubricant But the cables have come loose on the carburettor side.
I have no clue where they should attach or what I need to remove to get to the location to reconnect the cables.
PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP
Attachments

604Bonanza

Post by 604Bonanza »

I am very new to this but bought an old GL1500 Valkyrie (Date of manufacture is not known so I have attached a pic to help) which has 6 carbs and the throttle was sticking so I loosened it to add some lubricant But the cables have come loose on the carburettor side.
I have no clue where they should attach or what I need to remove to get to the location to reconnect the cables.
PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP
Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Re: GL 1500 Valkyrie Throttle

Post by Andy Cote »

Welcome to the forum. Sharp looking machine.

Many of the How-To articles on this site will be very helpful. I hope it's okay to cross link as there is another forum dedicated to the Valkyrie.

http://www.valkyrieriders.com/

Regarding your image, obviously someone has converted it to a three wheeler. But they also changed the fuel tank, seat, gauges, front forks & fender, probably the fork clamps/triple trees, and other things not visible. While the original motorcycle should have a VIN on the steering neck portion of the frame (from which you could determine year), there is no trusting this to be accurate given all the modifications.

The good news is there are really no changes throughout the years. The earlier engines have the highest horsepower rating but you'll likely never notice. You should change the timing belts and do a driveline service if there is no documentation as to when they were last done.

This machine has six carburetors and they should be synchronized. The cabling and linkage is straightforward. On a stock bike, first step would be to remove the seat, fuel tank and air cleaner assembly for access. While in there, check the choke cabling as well.
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas
604Bonanza

Post by 604Bonanza »

604Bonanza

Post by 604Bonanza »

Thanks Andy,
That a great starting point.
Gee I never realised all the changes that have been made.
The wiring was a total mess and still is to some extent but at least I have the lights indicators etc working now.
It has been modified as you so rightly mentioned and I will try out the link you sent as well.
Thank you for your help........Hope I can get it going again