New Goldwing Owner, what are the "must dos"?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
badgustav
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500

New Goldwing Owner, what are the "must dos"?

Post by badgustav »

Hey folks, just came into a 1996 GL 1500 SE, 56k miles. As expected with a bike of this age, there's the standard fading of the wood panel plastics, a missing side cover, but she's in remarkable shape otherwise. I've only ever owned newer bikes (DL 650 is my other stable bike right now) and never had a cruiser, let alone one this heavy. What are the "must do" items for this bike? Maintenance needs, upgrades, farkles? Hoping to keep it going for many years to come. Thanks!

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: New Goldwing Owner, what are the "must dos"?

Post by Rambozo »

The "wood" is aftermarket, maybe remove it.
Do all the basics, fluids and filters, complete inspection.
Change the timing belts and probably everything else made of rubber.
A lot depends on how long it has been sitting and how well it was serviced before that.
diecast collector
Motorcycle: 2006 Honda Gold Wing level 2

Post by diecast collector »

Have you heard this Gold Wing run? How ae the brakes, and clutch? Makes it a lot easier to work on if it runs.
badgustav
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500

Post by badgustav »

Definitely runs, brakes and clutch seem solid.
Swagonmaster
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500 SE

Post by Swagonmaster »

As already mentioned, how well it has been taken care of up till now and how recently it has been run is a big deal. Along with the other recommendations be sure to check the age of the tires, when I got my 1990 it had brand new tires on it but they were 5 years old because the bike had been sitting. There is a date code on the side of the tires that will tell you at least when the tires were made if not exactly when they were installed. It's four numbers in an oval, the first two give the week and the second two are the year of manufacture. Unless you choose to replace the thermostat automatically at least pay attention to how hot it runs and do the fans come on if you leave it running a while parked. As with any new car/bike look at the "mission critical" things first as being broken down on a ride is a major pita whereas a turn signal bulb going out is a lot more livable.
Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!
Sassy
Motorcycle: 1989 gl1500

Post by Sassy »

Change fluids, cam belts, check tires and grease ujoint, driveshaft and wheel flange splines.
That will probably give you lots a carefree miles.
And welcome!! Great bike, enjoy!
Enjoying the Darkside
Fred
blupupher
Motorcycle: 2002 Goldwing GL1800A

Post by blupupher »

Engine oil, final drive fluid, coolant, front/rear brake fluid and clutch fluid flush, timing belt, spark plugs, cruise and sub filter, air filter (make sure not nests are built in there), fuel filter, clean handle bar switches (electrical contact cleaner works, but taking them apart and lubing them works better, and NO WD40), check tire dates, and when you change the rear tire, make sure to lube the drive shaft splines and hub, order a few relays from the site to have some extras (or swap the old ones out and keep them as spares), fork oil probably should be done (but could wait till seals start leaking, which they probably will if it has been sitting for a while).
One thing I suggest doing now is getting the original shifter shaft brace (Link to e-bay listing). Helps a lot with the sloppy shifter of the 1500. Peppi-le-pew is not making a whole lot more from what I read, so get it now while you can. He is basically being put out of business by overseas knockoff (that a garbage) help support him in his final hurrah.
Heck, I don't even own a 1500 any more and almost want to buy one "just in case" I get another one.

Also look into getting a fork brace (Blackwing is best, but not made anymore, so a Superbrace or Chinese knockoff are your only real options).

Take a look at the 1500 How To section, most of these things are covered, plus other "fixes" and such.

Best "extra" things I did from the page was adjust the cruise control engagement lag and fix the cruise so it could be set above 80 mph.
Also did the rear air shock fluid change (and changed the bushings that had worn out) as well as a few other things.
It is just a great resource for almost anything you need to do on the 1500.
2002 Goldwing GL1800A
RIPUneleven
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 Goldwing Aspencade

Post by RIPUneleven »

I'm not really mechanically inclined, but I have to say that these 'how to' threads are really helpful and make it easy for guys like me. My cruise contraol buttons are sticky from not being used for a long time, also are some of the buttons on the left hand side switch block. You mentioned Contact Cleaner but also that it would be better to remove and clean terminals. Can I spray contact cleaner directly onto the switch blocks to loosen them up a bit?
Sentenced to 'life behind bars' - 1999 Goldwing Aspencade 1500
blupupher
Motorcycle: 2002 Goldwing GL1800A

Post by blupupher »

RIPUneleven wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:36 am I'm not really mechanically inclined, but I have to say that these 'how to' threads are really helpful and make it easy for guys like me. My cruise contraol buttons are sticky from not being used for a long time, also are some of the buttons on the left hand side switch block. You mentioned Contact Cleaner but also that it would be better to remove and clean terminals. Can I spray contact cleaner directly onto the switch blocks to loosen them up a bit?
Yes, you can spray the contact cleaner into the spaces around the switches, which will help loosen them up and should get them working short term, but long term they need to be taken apart to be cleaned and lubed properly.
Do it once with the correct lube (I use silicone grease) and it will last another 30+ years
2002 Goldwing GL1800A
vince69140
Motorcycle: GW1500 Aspencade 1996

Post by vince69140 »

Hi there,

still focusing on rubber parts, not only tires, time belts, and fixing rings, you have also the couple ammortizer in the rear wheel and also the same for the alternator.
still for rubber; there is also one 'souflet' protection around the right rear shock absorber, and the four parts fixing both of them to the frame.
I will not suggest to change the motor ones
you might also regenerate dessicant in the internal compressor, replacing also some filters.

have good rides ;)