Noisy Lifters

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Blackhawkxx
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500A Aspencade

Noisy Lifters

Post by Blackhawkxx »

My son has a low mileage 2000 1500 Wing that he rides daily, like a car, just loves to ride. The other day it started tapping, like a lifter tap but ran perfect. He pulled the valve cover and he was getting little to no oil to the top of the head so the noise is the lifters not getting oil. He changed oil and filter and added SeaFoam, no change. He installed a oil pressure gauge and it has full pressure per manual. To me, there almost has to be a clogged oil passage to the head, maybe a piece of gasket. I suggested trying to blow air backwards through the head passages the best he can. Any thoughts or ideas how to find the problem without a full tear down? Anyone else ever have this problem?

Blackhawkxx
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500A Aspencade

Re: Noisy Lifters

Post by Blackhawkxx »

He seems to have found the problem.  He removed the front of the motor, timing belt and then the whole rocker assembly on the head.  The oil should flow from the head through the assembly.  He then took a .035 mig wire and ran it through the oil passage in the  head.  Could feel something and poked through it.  Couldn't see what it was.  Put it back together and ran it with the valve cover off and is now getting plenty of oil and no noise.  Hopefully it isn't something that will reappear but even if it does, at least he has a clue.  
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Noisy Lifters

Post by WingAdmin »

Now that there is flow through there again, it might be worth re-doing a Seafoam application. Seafoam won't clear clogs, but if there are restrictions from sludge deposits, it can dissolve them.