Changing steering head bearings

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
agedbikeman
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade with Insta trike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT(sold, glad to see the back of it)

Changing steering head bearings

Post by agedbikeman »

Hi all, I'm stuck.
I'm changinging my steering head bearings, it's all going quite well, I've removed forks and wheel assembly, I've undone the three screws holding the turn signal cancel switch and slid the top rubber turn signal cable cover quite a way along the cable, but try as I may, I can't free enough cable to lower the turn signal switch out of the frame tube to reach the connector. I've undone cable ties as many as I can see, but still can't free enough cable to get the connector out of the frame tube. I most certainly can't free anywhere near as much as Wing Admind shows in photo 27 of his how to description. Unless I remove the dashboard, I do't see how I can see any more cable ties to undo.

Short of cutting the cable at the top and fitting connectors on re assembly (which is what Honda should have done in the first place) I don't know what else to do.
Any input welcome.
Thanks in advance
Alex

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: Changing steering head bearings

Post by Rambozo »

Chances are someone had something apart and failed to route the cables properly. You might have to take more apart to correct that.
agedbikeman

Post by agedbikeman »

Thanks Rambozo, never thought of that, i'll lift the right glove box see if that gives me any clues, failing that I think I'll just cut and join the cable at the top with solder and heatshrink,

Steering bearings are original, bike never ever had a fault in all it's life, I have all the bills for service from year 2 of it's life, unlikely it's ever been apart that far, but thanks anyway, you've given me something to chew on
gford
Motorcycle: 1999 Goldwing SE

Post by gford »

Check for more cable stays holding the wire, when I did mine i had enough slack after releasing all the stays to get at the connector
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

No need to cut it. The other end of that wire just plugs in at connector C90 a brown 6 pin behind the left front fairing.
agedbikeman

Post by agedbikeman »

Damn, I've cut it, but now the triple tree is out of the way I can see even more, so I can repair the cut wires with solder joints and heat shrink, find the plug and socket and prepare the job in case there's a next time.

Thanks
Alex