Heated handgrips removal

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
RIPUneleven
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 Goldwing Aspencade

Heated handgrips removal

Post by RIPUneleven »

Hi all, this weekend I'm going to remove the heated handgrips from the goldwing. I'm not overly mechanically minded but I have confidence I can do this quite easily. Are there any hidden traps / pointers I should be aware of before beginning? Many thanks in advance.
Attachments

Sentenced to 'life behind bars' - 1999 Goldwing Aspencade 1500
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: Heated handgrips removal

Post by Rambozo »

To replace or do you plan to re-use them?
Since they are not stock, it all depends on how they were installed. I'm partial to using hair spray to install grips and that makes them easy to get off with compressed air and a little water if needed. Some people use grip cement, so you need to use solvent to get them off.
RIPUneleven

Post by RIPUneleven »

The glue on the grips them selves has let go. The accelerator grip has snapped away from the wires and I have covered and secured aside the broken wires for now. I'll throw those grips away and replace with non heated items. I have awesome cold weather gloves and don't feel the need for heated grips in my climate. So it's a complete removal. Both grips will slide off and on easily, it's more the panel removal to get to the control unit mounted on the left hand side of the bike. And should I disconnect the battery first?
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

Not a bad idea if you don't know how the grips are wired in. If you're lucky it will either be right off the battery terminal, a solenoid terminal, or the accessory terminals on the fuse box. Of course having heard stories here about PO wiring, it could be wired into a trailer plug back by the tail lights. :roll:
Of course you could be the PO and just cut the wires to the grips, maybe hit them with a bit of tape, and leave the control unit to baffle the next owner. :twisted:
RIPUneleven

Post by RIPUneleven »

Thanks, Rambozo :) I got the grips off succesfully and had no trouble. I left the control unit in with the connecting clips intact in case I change my mind and put some new ones on.