Trying to wade through the Darkside Tire swamp!

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
wezx
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A

Trying to wade through the Darkside Tire swamp!

Post by wezx »

Ok, I’ve read through every (I think? LOL) Darkside thread I can find in the quest to put a Darkside rear on my 1993 1500 (yes, my head is spinning!). I understand the Austone is no longer available. The Maxxis 175/R16 is a replacement that works as is the Vitour 175/R16 except that the Vitour now seems to be unavailable?! Correct so far? I’d really like to try a run flat, but the recommended Achilles Multivan 195/65/16 is now ALSO apparently unavailable…ARGGGH! Someone a couple months ago mentioned in the “End of the Austone” thread the Hankook Ventus Prime 2 195/55R16 and that DOES seem to be available and that it fits without rubbing…?

So is it basically right now in April 2023 either the Maxxis or if I want runflat the Hankook Ventus? And can anyone else confirm that the Hankook fits, is easily installable, and doesn’t rub anywhere? My current Dunlop is on its last legs and I need to figure this out and get a tire ordered!

Sassy
Motorcycle: 1989 gl1500

Re: Trying to wade through the Darkside Tire swamp!

Post by Sassy »

Hi, I put the Ventus on my '89.
Have about 500 miles on it so far. Have the air pressure at 35psi at the moment but will be trying lower as well. Very happy with the feel and riding characteristics.
The engine rpm is up a bit running close to 3000 at 60mph.
Installation is a little more work than a standard tire but not crazy. I have documented it elsewhere but really the only difference is the axle spacer in the rear drive and the black plastic dust ring need to come off to get the leading edge of tire past the final drive then it's a litlle puzzle to get those 2 pieces back on with the wheel in the way.
Clearence, as has been mentioned about some other tires as well there may be some minor contact with plastic inner fender which I solved with a heat gun.
There are other 195/55 run flats out there this one came up used on ebay cheap. I wasn't sure it would fit so this was a good way to test the water. Works great happy with it.
Enjoying the Darkside
Fred
ncdave
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE

Post by ncdave »

I installed a maxxis on my 1999 wing. it's larger diameter caused a bit of rubbing on a splash guard on the front of the inner fender. it was easily bent out of the way. at 40 PSI, the tire was absolutely perfect and I could not tell any difference from a MC tire. I tried another brand on my 2000 wing and it did not work in the least. it was a Comforcer CF350. handling was bad and caused wobbling. tried several pressures to no avail. I'm going with a Maxxis again.
wezx

Post by wezx »

Thanks for responding! The main impediment to deciding which way to go is I’ve never had a run flat on any vehicle so I really have no frame of reference, however, I have been stranded before with a rear flat on a bike so the idea of not being stranded is pretty tempting. It sounds like the run flat is slightly more challenging of an install but I’m a wrench so I can’t imagine it being too difficult once I have it up on the lift and see what I’ve got…

Did you guys mount them yourselves or take it somewhere?
ncdave

Post by ncdave »

I did mine myself with a Harbor Freight changer (with MC tire attachment). wrestled it a little, but went on ok. I used lots of lube on it. :)
Sassy

Post by Sassy »

wezx wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:16 am Thanks for responding! The main impediment to deciding which way to go is I’ve never had a run flat on any vehicle so I really have no frame of reference, however, I have been stranded before with a rear flat on a bike so the idea of not being stranded is pretty tempting. It sounds like the run flat is slightly more challenging of an install but I’m a wrench so I can’t imagine it being too difficult once I have it up on the lift and see what I’ve got…

Did you guys mount them yourselves or take it somewhere?
If your comfortable with wrenches you'll not have a problem on install.
I spooned mine on and used beads for balance.
Enjoying the Darkside
Fred
wezx

Post by wezx »

Do you like the beads? I’ve never used them but have heard people rave about them. Do you have a link to the ones you used?
Sassy

Post by Sassy »

Sorry no link on the beads I picked them up at the Honda shop.
I like the idea cause if they do balance the tire it is always balanced.
I have trouble getting them in the wheel. The only way I've figgered is to bead up the tire then break the side the valve is on, use a small funnel to lay them in and rebead the tire.

I will add that the run flat is more sensitive to uneven surfaces at low speed. I think this is because the width of the tire offsets the balance point easily due to the stiff sidewalls. That is the only negative I've experienced with the run flat.
Good luck with your choices!
Enjoying the Darkside
Fred
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

Thanks for the heads up on the Hankook Ventus Prime 2 HRS 195/55R16 run flat. I have wanted to go to a run flat, but every time I hear about one that fits, it's no longer available. At first, I thought this was another case of the same as it was out of stock with no ETA in the first few places I checked. Then I found other dealers that actually have them!
I don't need it right now but I think I should get while the getting's good.
Has anyone tried the Pirelli Cinturato P7 AS 195/55R16 run flat?
WingAdmin
Site Admin
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

wezx wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:42 pm Do you like the beads? I’ve never used them but have heard people rave about them. Do you have a link to the ones you used?
These are the beads I have used on multiple bikes for many years: https://www.amazon.com/Kit-Counteract-M ... 7Y1W/?th=1

I used to use DynaBeads, but these Counteract beads are easier to install (less static) and create less dust when used.

They work amazingly well, and your tires stay balanced as the wear - which means they last longer.
Flyboy CDA
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing Interstate

Post by Flyboy CDA »

I got Austone taxi tire on eBay from England, the shipping on them wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be I don't remember what I paid but somewhere mid-100s I think? I think it was 121 Plus shipping?
It rides smooth, I like the tire.
Stonbo the great
Motorcycle: 87,99 goldwings

Post by Stonbo the great »

I called universal tire company a few months back he said they should have a new order of maxxis in April. I've run the Maxxis on my 93 without problems and I like it. I also have had good luck with (ride on) brand tire slop.
wezx

Post by wezx »

Sassy wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:48 am Hi, I put the Ventus on my '89.
Have about 500 miles on it so far. Have the air pressure at 35psi at the moment but will be trying lower as well. Very happy with the feel and riding characteristics.
The engine rpm is up a bit running close to 3000 at 60mph.
Installation is a little more work than a standard tire but not crazy. I have documented it elsewhere but really the only difference is the axle spacer in the rear drive and the black plastic dust ring need to come off to get the leading edge of tire past the final drive then it's a litlle puzzle to get those 2 pieces back on with the wheel in the way.
Clearence, as has been mentioned about some other tires as well there may be some minor contact with plastic inner fender which I solved with a heat gun.
There are other 195/55 run flats out there this one came up used on ebay cheap. I wasn't sure it would fit so this was a good way to test the water. Works great happy with it.
I’m not sure what I’m missing? But this is a Ventus Prime 2 195/55/16 and I can’t even get the tire by itself into the swingarm…? Is there some trick to this? I’ve removed the plastic dust cover and the wheel spacer but good grief it’s a crazy tight space…? I haven’t tried really forcing it, but it sure seems larger than the gap in the swingarm…?
Attachments

wezx

Post by wezx »

Yeah, there is no way this tire is going to fit in this swingarm. The swingarm is literally tearing into the tire trying to wedge it between the tire and drive…WTH?!?

There must be a difference between the swingarms on an ‘89 and my ‘93. Cause I’ve been wrenching a long long time and I can’t see any way that tire is fitting, which completely sucks because now I’m stuck with this damn tire and have to wait around to get a Maxxis or just not go Darkside this tire change? I really wanted run-flat. This sucks.
Attachments

Last edited by wezx on Thu May 11, 2023 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blupupher
Motorcycle: 2002 Goldwing GL1800A

Post by blupupher »

Deflate the tire and angle it in?
Current ride: 2002 Goldwing GL1800A
Former rides: 1994 Goldwing GL1500 SE, 2001 Nighthawk CB750, 1994 Shadow VT1100C, 1982 CB750C, 1984 Interceptor VF500F, 1978 CB125s
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

Have you measured the tire at it's widest point and measured the swingarm width in that same location? You might have to remove the final drive to make room. Sassy said it was a difficult puzzle to get into place and mentioned the installation was documented elsewhere. Also there are differences in the 88-89 that might make this year specific. I know the final drive and wheel are different. Not sure about the swingarm.

EDIT:
Just looked it up. Totally different swingarm part numbers changing from 89 to 90 and beyond. I guess I'll keep looking for the elusive run flat GL1500 tire.
wezx

Post by wezx »

blupupher wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:44 pm Deflate the tire and angle it in?
That’s JUST the tire…not even mounted yet. I wanted to see the spacing and I’ll be damned if I can even wedge it in there off the rim…I can’t imagine trying that with it on the rim. I see no possible way a 195 is gonna fit in a 1993 swingarm. I even removed the final drive COMPLETELY and it still won’t clear without starting to dig into the damn tire!
Sassy

Post by Sassy »

Did you mount the tire?
The tire will not fit in unmounted but mounted on the rim with the black plastic dust cover and axle spacer removed it rolls into place inflated to max psi no problem in my 1989.
If you do/did mount it and it still doesn't fit please state it here in the thread so as to help others.
Good luck.
Enjoying the Darkside
Fred
wezx

Post by wezx »

Rambozo wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:51 pm Have you measured the tire at it's widest point and measured the swingarm width in that same location? You might have to remove the final drive to make room. Sassy said it was a difficult puzzle to get into place and mentioned the installation was documented elsewhere. Also there are differences in the 88-89 that might make this year specific. I know the final drive and wheel are different. Not sure about the swingarm.

EDIT:
Just looked it up. Totally different swingarm part numbers changing from 89 to 90 and beyond. I guess I'll keep looking for the elusive run flat GL1500 tire.
I removed the final drive because it needs thoroughly cleaned and re-moly’d anyway and it STILL will not fit. The swingarm literally starts digging into the tire and then won’t budge.

This sucks…now I’m stuck with this damn useless tire and if I still want to go Dark, which I do, I’ve gotta wait for shipping to get a Maxxis…
wezx

Post by wezx »

Sassy wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 11:45 pm Did you mount the tire?
The tire will not fit in unmounted but mounted on the rim with the black plastic dust cover and axle spacer removed it rolls into place inflated to max psi no problem in my 1989.
If you do/did mount it and it still doesn't fit please state it here in the thread so as to help others.
Good luck.
Didn’t mount it yet…was thinking it would be more flexible off the rim? No? Wanted to see the clearance and discovered it absolutely will not go in. Someone just posted that the 1989 swingarm is a different part number than 1990 and beyond…? Wondering if my 1993 swingarm is smaller and that’s the problem? I guess I can mount it and try, but even with the final drive completely removed it will not fit…putting it on the rim makes it thinner I guess is what you’re saying?
wezx

Post by wezx »

Rambozo wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:51 pm Have you measured the tire at it's widest point and measured the swingarm width in that same location? You might have to remove the final drive to make room. Sassy said it was a difficult puzzle to get into place and mentioned the installation was documented elsewhere. Also there are differences in the 88-89 that might make this year specific. I know the final drive and wheel are different. Not sure about the swingarm.

EDIT:
Max swing arm width is 7.5” roughly and that’s with the final drive completely removed! The tire is about 8” width. Will mounting it cause the width to shrink a half inch? I can’t see how that would happen…?
blupupher
Motorcycle: 2002 Goldwing GL1800A

Post by blupupher »

Mounting and inflating it tends to cause the tire to get skinnier.
The sidewalls get pulled in and rounds out the tire bit, causing it to get a touch taller and skinnier.

Will it help in your case, I can't say, only real way is to try it out.
Many have run a 195/55/16 on the GL1500 with no real issues, but there are some out there that have issues. You may be in the latter group, but until you physically mount the tire to the rim, you may not know for sure.

It is one of the reasons I went with the Maxxis, I knew it would fit width wise, and may have to do some minor tweaking to the plastic "mud flap" at the front of the wheel well to stop the rubbing (which I did have to do).
Current ride: 2002 Goldwing GL1800A
Former rides: 1994 Goldwing GL1500 SE, 2001 Nighthawk CB750, 1994 Shadow VT1100C, 1982 CB750C, 1984 Interceptor VF500F, 1978 CB125s
Sassy

Post by Sassy »

I posted this in a thread about darksiding tires in the Reference information section.
Sassy wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:54 pm Got the 60 series tire off and the 195/55 mounted today. I measured the 60 before demount and it was 6 7/8s" cross section, the 55 although shorter has the same cross section measurement at 50psimax pressure so looking good so far.
Enjoying the Darkside
Fred
Sassy

Post by Sassy »

On jan 18/23 I posted a pic in the reference section on darksiding. It shows the difference between a mounted and an unmounted 195. There is a significant change in width.
I can't find the pic now or I'd of posted it here.
Screenshot

Enjoying the Darkside
Fred
wezx

Post by wezx »

Sassy wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:26 am On jan 18/23 I posted a pic in the reference section on darksiding. It shows the difference between a mounted and an unmounted 195. There is a significant change in width.
I can't find the pic now or I'd of posted it here.
Screenshot Screenshot_20230512-063122.png
WOW! That is a difference huh? I had no idea it would be that much...I've never mounted a tire myself. Thanks for posting that and your help. I have to take this old tire off anyway so I'm gonna mount this and see what happens...