Fuel shutoff not closing

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
4given
Motorcycle: 1996 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Fuel shutoff not closing

Post by 4given »

I know this topic has been discussed at length but I’m starting a new post to get some opinions on my specific issue. My fuel shutoff valve developed a leak so I ordered a repair kit. There was a tear in the rubber diaphragm that is spring loaded and stops fuel flow when the engine stops and there is no vacuum. I installed the kit and before I put it back on my 96 Aspencade,out of curiosity, blew through the fuel inlet and it was open. I took it back apart and checked both gaskets. Everything looked proper. Before I put it all back together I pressed down on the diaphragm with my finger and blew through it and it was closed. So I put it back together with the same result.when I blow through the fuel inlet it is open. I took it back apart and added another spring thinking the spring was weak. Same result. I ordered another kit from Amazon but haven’t received it yet. Any thoughts ?

“Fight the fight and do what is right“
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Fuel shutoff not closing

Post by WingAdmin »

4given wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:14 pm I know this topic has been discussed at length but I’m starting a new post to get some opinions on my specific issue. My fuel shutoff valve developed a leak so I ordered a repair kit. There was a tear in the rubber diaphragm that is spring loaded and stops fuel flow when the engine stops and there is no vacuum. I installed the kit and before I put it back on my 96 Aspencade,out of curiosity, blew through the fuel inlet and it was open. I took it back apart and checked both gaskets. Everything looked proper. Before I put it all back together I pressed down on the diaphragm with my finger and blew through it and it was closed. So I put it back together with the same result.when I blow through the fuel inlet it is open. I took it back apart and added another spring thinking the spring was weak. Same result. I ordered another kit from Amazon but haven’t received it yet. Any thoughts ?
I think you're testing it incorrectly. Keep in mind that the shutoff valve is ABOVE the fuel tank, so you will never have pressurized fuel present at the inlet port. The valve works by having a rubber diaphragm pushed closed by a spring. Engine vacuum produced when the engine cranks will pull the vacuum diaphragm back, which pulls on the valve diaphragm, opening the valve.

I suspect by blowing into the end, you're actually pushing the internal valve open, which would never happen in proper operation. Try applying suction on the outlet port instead, which is what occurs when the fuel pump is running.
4given

Post by 4given »

Thanks for the explanation Scott. It’s back on the bike. My next question-is there a way to test it for correct operation? The way it is designed if I’m comprehending it correctly, the fuel pump could have enough pressure to push through the valve but it should stop gravity flow to the carbs when the motor is not running and there is no vacuum.correct me if I’m wrong.
Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Post by Charlie1Horse »

Is it possible to put the diaphram and spring in backwards where the spring will hold the valve open instead of closed? If it can then you would be able to blow through it and it would not shut off the fuel supply. I have repaired one on my 92 Interstate but I don't remember what it looked like. Just an idea...
Russell
Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.
MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
199K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
36K Miles

Post by MikeB »

Here is a You Tube rebuild video:

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!
MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/195,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/32,000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 1968 - 1986 / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 1986 - 1992. Retired
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 1992 - 2014
Retired in Tacoma, WA
4given

Post by 4given »

Charlie1Horse wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:07 pm Is it possible to put the diaphram and spring in backwards where the spring will hold the valve open instead of closed? If it can then you would be able to blow through it and it would not shut off the fuel supply. I have repaired one on my 92 Interstate but I don't remember what it looked like. Just an idea...
Russell
I took it apart and put it back together 3 times. I’m sure it’s together correctly. It might be possible to put the spring on the wrong side. I’ve already repaired one a few years ago. It’s almost as if the spring isn’t strong enough to close the fuel off. I took the vacuum side off and manually pressed on the diaphragm and I couldn’t blow air through it. Thanks Russell.
4given

Post by 4given »

Thanks for the vid Mike. I watched several others but that is the first time I saw that one. I assembled mine exactly the same way. Not sure if I’m overthinking this or not but I don’t want to get into a siphon situation if a float malfunctions and end up with a hydrolocked engine
4given

Post by 4given »

Just a follow up on my fuel shut off results. As I said, I installed it back on the bike and rode it. Brought it back and shut it off. I removed the seat and the shelter and disconnected the line from the filter to the fuel shut off inlet. I then hooked a syphon hose to it and applied vacuum and it definitely shuts the fuel off. The diaphragm is designed so that it can be overcome if you apply enough vacuum, but I believe that is the way it is supposed to work. Thanks for all the good advice from everyone.

Dan