Tachometer going wacko.

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Post Reply
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:48 pm
Location: Blue Earth Minnesota
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda Goldwing Interstate. 1984 Goldwing Interstate. 1982 Goldwing Interstate. 1989 Yamaha Ventura Royale.

Tachometer going wacko.

Post by ginblueearth »

My 89 GL1500 tachometer. Has started going? wacko sometimes. Probably 70% of the time it'll work perfect. And. the other 30 per cent of the time it'll read way high. It seems like if you hit a big. bump in the road. A jarring bump. That will make it start reading. high. to the point where it will read like 6000 RPMS. when you're cruising that 60 miles an hour. and over the span of 60 miles or so. It'll gradually work its way back down to to about 4000 RPMS. Has anybody else experienced this? Does anybody have an idea what it could be? I'm wondering if it could be a loose wire somewhere. When it's doing it, I've. wiggled wires around. and can't get it to change or lower back down. It seems like after it's set for a day or two and you start it back up, it'll be back to normal. Questions on where to check. on the back of the tack on the motor Are there connections on the faring? It's not a super big deal, but it is a little annoying. You can help me out on fixing this problem. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks, in advance. Glen Murra

User avatar
Posts: 104
Joined: Sat May 28, 2022 7:54 pm
Location: Kars, New Brunswick, Canada
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Goldwing SE
1983 GL650 Silverwing
1980 CX500 Custom
1975 XL100

Re: Tachometer going wacko.

Post by WingsandThings »

Here are a couple of threads on similar issues.


And as the elders of our time choose to remain blind
Let us rejoice and let us sing and dance and ring in the new
Hail Atlantis!
Post Reply