replacing windshield on 2000 GL1500SE

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
glrider7
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

replacing windshield on 2000 GL1500SE

Post by glrider7 »

Hey everyone,

I had a windshield with visor to allow in air that badly needed replacement. I bought a new OEM (almost $800 CDN....ouch). I am following viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9425. Again what a great help. Easy and clear instructions to follow.

I am having one problem though. I didn't pay enough attention to exactly how it looked when is disassembled, but when I go to put back the windshield fairing I can slide it left to lock it in place, but the holes on the end are not matching up with where the screws need to go and the fairing doesn't seem to fit over the screw receptor as much as I think it should. When I slide the fairing to lock it in place the right side of the bike seems to be okay, but the left only exposes about half of the screw receptor. Does the fairing have to bend a little?

glrider7

Re: replacing windshield on 2000 GL1500SE

Post by glrider7 »

I put the screw in on the right side of the bike loosely and then pressed on the fairing light so it is snug up against the windshield and when I do that the screw receptor on the left side of the bike gets covered completely behind the fairing. I checked and made sure my setting plates in the windshield were in properly and were not sticking out.
glrider7

Post by glrider7 »

hi,

I think I am okay. I got it to a point that it seemed okay so I put the left screw in and rechecked the right side. both sides seem to be tight. I assembled the right mirror frame and then did the left. When I was jockeying the left I did something because the fairing moved in the left side and came loose and I was able to tightened it more and it seem like it was in a better place. I assembled the left mirror frame and it seems that everything is okay.
Sadanorakman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE (Blue)
1991 GL1500 SE (Gold)

Post by Sadanorakman »

I find the you get easier screw alignment when the screen is pushed fully up, which seems to cause less force on the chrome garnish, dragging it away from the recepticles. Once it's all back together, the screen can be slid back down again.
Measure twice, cut once.
glrider7

Post by glrider7 »

Well stupid me I put the screen on and put everything back together and then realized I need to install the vent in the windshield before installing in on the bike. I will follow the suggestion of having the screen fully pushed up to see if it is easier.

I do have one other question that I noticed this time. I think I am missing parts or mechanism because my screen adjustment levers don't do anything. I have a video so I will upload to tunyurl and then post the link.
glrider7

Post by glrider7 »

Okay video wasn't so easy so let's try a couple of pics. One is with the lever in the up position and the other is in the down position.
Attachments

4given
Motorcycle: 1996 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Post by 4given »

The 2 holes on each side of the garnish need to fit freely over the posts with the screw holes in and move freely. That’s what tightens and loosens the windshield when moving the levers.
“Fight the fight and do what is right“
Sadanorakman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE (Blue)
1991 GL1500 SE (Gold)

Post by Sadanorakman »

glrider7 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:36 pm Okay video wasn't so easy so let's try a couple of pics. One is with the lever in the up position and the other is in the down position.
That is correct behaviour. You see the threaded posts sliding back and forth. These pull the chrome garnish tight, trapping the screen, when the levers are pulled down.

As I said, these screws are easier to locate into the posts (on my bike anyway) when the screen is at its highest point (of course the levers also want to be fully raised!)

Measure twice, cut once.