Markland heel toe shifter repair

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Swagonmaster
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500 SE

Markland heel toe shifter repair

Post by Swagonmaster »

I have had a problem with my heel toe shifter for some time now and after installing the shifter brace realized that the bushing that the shift lever pivots on was worn and allowing excessive movement of the shift lever. i added a shim to the side of the lever and that improved the shift feel but it still wasn't everything I was looking for. Of course the fact that the bike has 150K on it now didn't help. Anyway I replaced the bronze bushing and that made a lot of difference and since it is an off the shelf no big deal American standard size bushing (I paid $5 for it) I thought I should make a post about it in case anyone else wanted to try replacing theirs. It is size 3/4 x 1 x 1/2 inch and can be pulled and replaced with just a small (about 1") piece of 1" ID pipe, some flat washers and an appropriate length bolt and nut. While I didn't take any pictures while doing the job I think I will try to take it back apart and take a few, I think I can give someone enough idea to be able to do this easily.

Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!
Swagonmaster
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500 SE

Re: Markland heel toe shifter repair

Post by Swagonmaster »

Since this is really rather easy I went ahead and took the shifter back apart to make some pictures to help those of us that don't normally dig into the mechanics of things that often to understand what is needed to be done for this repair.
The bushing that is needed to be replaced:

The shift lever is held on by this 1/4" bolt that comes in from the engine side, be sure to put a drop of locktite on it when reinstalling, it loves to come loose.

This is the home made tool I used to remove and reinstall the bushing, really any piece of stiff enough tubing such as 1" pvc pipe would work for this, it just needs to be able to allow the bushing to go into it.

The last picture shows the tool before pulling the bushing, as the bolt is tightened the bushing is pulled out of the bracket and into the tube. When reinstalling make sure that the bushing is positioned with equal protrusion on both sides of the bracket.

Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!