96 gl1500se headlight won't come on.

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
scmopar
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500Se, (12K miles)
1996 GL1500SE (30K miles)

96 gl1500se headlight won't come on.

Post by scmopar »

I have a 96 gl1500se with 30K miles. Well maintained,never wrecked. Everything worked prior to this event (reverse, radio, cb, signals, horn, compressor....). starter stopped once the vehicle started/switch in the free position.

years ago, while riding, the headlight went out when switching to high beam. When I switched to low bean, that light went out.
Replacing the bulbs did not work. The old bulbs in the headlight assembly, do light up on my other wing.

Testing the wiring harness to the headlight , there is no power to the headlight bulb, low or high. There is power to the marker lights.
The original Dimmer switch tested bad. the continuity test on low and high setting showed an open.

I have tested the main fuses (left saddlebag), the relays in the main relay junction box. The reverse Diode.
I tested the starter switch (right cluster).

I can not find the problem.

I have received two switches from salvage yards, both for 1996 wings. One switch was bad, the other is good (but blinker wiring is wrong).

I am unwrapping and ohming out the wiring harness from the headlight backwards.

Where do I look next?

two problems,

1. I need the proper left switch assembly (35200-mt8-771 or 772). both switch replacements from a salvage yard did not work.

2. how do I tell the the switches apart? SE from Aspencade and Interstate, and 1990-1996, from 1997-2000, and 1987-1990? Salvage yards do not know.

Bob in Colorado

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: 96 gl1500se headlight won't come on.

Post by Rambozo »

You may very well have to take the switches apart and clean the old grease out of them. Doing this inside a large plastic bag can keep the springs and balls from shooting off into the void, never to be seen again.
SE will have the additional wires for the lighted controls. There is a good How-To on changing those to LEDs. The pictures in that article might be useful to you.
The thing that takes these switches out is lack of regular use. So used switches that have been off the bike for who knows how long are likely to have problems. There are a few How-To articles on switch cleaning as this is a very common problem.
scmopar
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500Se, (12K miles)
1996 GL1500SE (30K miles)

Re: 96 gl1500se headlight won't come on.

Post by scmopar »

Thank you. The old dimmer switch, teh brass connectors broke.