Foot Peg Springs

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
lordofthelan
Motorcycle: 1996 Goldwing 1500 SE

Foot Peg Springs

Post by lordofthelan »

Being new to the Goldwing GL1500 I found myself struggling this past weekend trying to convert the bike from aftermarket footboards back to factory foot pegs. How do the springs get placed in the foot peg mount for proper function? Unlike my Virago these are very difficult to place when installing the foot pegs. Can anyone provide description (or video) on how this is done? For now I just left the springs off so I could take the bike on a test ride (and fill the gas tank).
Thanks!

Swagonmaster
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500 SE

Re: Foot Peg Springs

Post by Swagonmaster »

While I don't have pegs on mine I would suggest doing this; realize that the purpose of the spring is to keep the peg down in normal use and allow it to angle up if it is pushed up by hard cornering and it contacts the ground. Since that is the case, look for wear marks in places that would allow the spring to push the peg downward and find a position of the spring that would allow that to happen.
Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!
lordofthelan
Motorcycle: 1996 Goldwing 1500 SE

Post by lordofthelan »

The original owner must have swapped to floor boards early on since I can not find any wear marks. I know which way the spring works, and can compare with the pegs on my Virago, but access to hold the spring in place while inserting the pin is the mystery to me. I've used tricks before like zip tie, fishing line, etc. to hold something in place but this is more of a challenge.
joeincalif
Motorcycle: 2006 Gold Wing

Post by joeincalif »

The spring goes in the end of the foot peg, here is a diagram, put the spring in and see if it works, if not, flip it over.

IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE