Brake Lights

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
jackd942
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade

Brake Lights

Post by jackd942 »

Can anyone offer a suggestion to whether the brake lights in the picture are on or not? This is a new to me 1993 Aspencade GL1500 and the brake lights do not work when either the front or rear brakes are applied. My first thought was that they were stuck on due to the spoiler light being on, however I pulled fuse 3 as I read somewhere to try and nothing changed. Thanks in advance.
Attachments

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: Brake Lights

Post by Rambozo »

Sure looks like it to me. Unplug the brake switches one at a time to see if one is stuck on.
Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Post by Charlie1Horse »

Looks like tail lights. The spoiler light is a dual LED. It lights for tail lights and brightens with brake lights. Check fuse #3 and relay #2. If you are not sure of the operation of relay #2 then change it with another like relay and try that. Check for power at the front switch and continuity of the front switch. Check for power at the tail/stop bulb. It's highly unlikely that all the bulbs have burned out at the same time but, it has happened. I hope this helps.
Russell
Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.
jackd942

Post by jackd942 »

Will do, thanks for the info!
Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Post by Andy Cote »

On the GL1500, not all the spoiler lights were dual function. Some were brake only. Check if it has two or three wires connected to the main harness.

Buy a 12 volt test light and check the bulb sockets.

Those chrome rails with diamond shaped lights are aftermarket. Do those lights work? How good or bad is the wiring connection?
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas
jackd942

Post by jackd942 »

Those diamond shaped aftermarket lights and rails are going away. I haven’t had a chance to get rid of them yet. A lot of unnecessary chrome I want to delete over time.

I have now verified that fuse 3 and relay 2 are both good by switching them out with a known good fuse and relay. I unhooked the wiring from the front brake switch and there are 4 wires in the bundle, but only 3 were hooked up. Have to get my meter and bring home tomorrow to test the switches and bulb sockets out.

As far as the wiring condition on the bike, I’d say it’s decent imho. Everything on the bike works and is in good shape except for this brake light issue.
jackd942

Post by jackd942 »

Another question…are the brake lights supposed to function with the key off? This one does not, but wondering if they should.
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

jackd942 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:49 pm Another question…are the brake lights supposed to function with the key off? This one does not, but wondering if they should.
Nope. That is just a thing on some cars.

There are two switches in both the front and rear brakes. One switch is for the brake lights and the other is to cancel the cruise control.
GrapeVine
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500I Interstate

Post by GrapeVine »

See my mystery and solution here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=71842

I didn't know I had the problem until I went to replace the 4th incandescent bulb with an LED bulb. That's when all the brights came on UNCOMMANDED. I looked carefully at the bulb sockets themselves and found the OE Incandescent bulbs had a much smaller contact point and thought that that may have been AN issue.

With that ONE thing in mind, check by removing UPPER (easier to access) bulb and see if anything changes.

Set the handlebars FULL LEFT, turn key to P(ark). do ONLY the tail, and NOT the brake lights illuminate?

Otherwise, if you haven't made any other changes, check the wiring harness to those lower diamond lights. reconnect and see if anything changes. My aux lower fender light was mis-wired across the parking light circuit and its connection socket was identical to the other harness. maybe I reconnected it wrong at some point, but it's fixed now.
jackd942

Post by jackd942 »

Just wanted to say thanks for all the suggestions. Finally got time to tear things down a little more and they were stuck on. The rear brake switch needed adjustment and a good cleaning as it seemed to be sticking.